You may have heard the term ‘hasta la vista baby’ many times in the English language, but what exactly is the meaning of this term? We are going to look at the meaning behind this term and where it’s origins lie. We will also look at how we can use this saying in a conversation.
Hasta La Vista Baby
“Hasta La Vista Baby” Meaning
When you hear someone use the term ‘hasta la vista baby’ they are using it to say goodbye or ‘see you later.‘ The term is an informal way of saying this and is usually used in friendly conversation.
Origin of this idiom
The phrase ‘hasta la vista baby’ was first coined in the movie Terminator and made famous by the lead actor, Arnold Schwarzenegger. The term is of Spanish origin and literally translates to ‘until the next sighting.’
“Hasta La Vista Baby” Examples
Examples in Statements
This is a statement made by a friend after a night out.
- ‘I had a great time tonight, but I am going home now, I’m so tired. Hasta la vista baby.’
Here is a statement made by a worker at the end of the week.
- ‘What a busy week, I cannot wait to get home, hasta la vista baby.’
If you are curious to know how the term ‘hasta la vista baby’ can be used in a conversation, here are some examples to show how it would work.
The first conversation is taking place between a father and son.
- Person 1: “You are not going to that party tonight, son.”
- Person 2: “Yes I am, everyone is going to be there.”
- Person 1: “I’ve said no.”
- Person 2: “Sorry dad, but I am leaving, hasta la vista baby.”
This is a conversation between two friends.
- Person 1: “I really enjoyed that meal but I am so full and tired now.”
- Person 2: “Me too, I think I just want to go home to bed.”
- Person 1: “Hasta la vista baby, see you tomorrow.”
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There are other ways in which you can say the term ‘hasta la vista baby.’ Here are some examples of things you can say.
- Catch you later
- See you tomorrow
- See you later
Definition of “Hasta La Vista Baby” | Picture