The term ‘hat trick’ is heard regularly in English conversation but what is the meaning of this saying? Let’s take a look at the answer to this question and find out how this term can be used in our day to day conversations. We will also look at where the term came from in the first place.
“Hat Trick” Meaning
The term ‘hat trick’ refers to a set of three goals or points scored in a single game of sports. It is most commonly used in football (soccer.)
Origin of this idiom
Although the phrase is most commonly used in football (soccer) its roots can in fact be found in the game of cricket. In the 1800s during a game of cricket, a player cleared the wickets three times and his opponent then gave him his hat. As he did this, he said the words ‘that trick is worthy of a new hat’ and so the phrase was born.
“Hat Trick” Examples
Examples in Statements
This is an example of a statement made by a sports reporter after a game of football.
- ‘Ronaldo scored a hat trick during the first half of the game, it was incredible.’
Here is a statement made by a father about his son.
- ‘Daniel scored a hat trick at the game today, the crowd went wild.’
- Saunders scored a hat trick in the final game of the series.
- Ted Gilmour was the star man for the B team, claiming a hat trick of victories.
- Rocastle has got to do the business, score a hat trick or something.
The phrase ‘hat trick’ may appear in several conversations, here are some examples of how that might look.
The first conversation is between two people discussing a recent football match.
- Person 1: “Did you see the football match last night?”
- Person 2: “I did, it was one of the best games I have ever seen.”
- Person 1: “I agree, when Messi scored the hat trick, I was lost for words.”
This is a conversation between two friends.
- Person 1: “Are you still playing for your local football team?”
- Person 2: “Yes I am and last week I scored a hat trick for the first time.”
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
If you want to refer to the meaning of the term ‘hat trick; but using different wording, here are some examples of how you can do that.
- A series of three
- Triple goals
What Is A Hat Trick? | Image