Health is the level of functional and metabolic efficiency of a living organism. Generally, in humans it is the ability of individuals or communities to adapt and self-manage when facing physical, mental, psychological and social changes with environment.
Health care or healthcare is the maintenance or improvement of health via the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disease, illness, injury, and other physical and mental impairments in human beings.
Learning healthcare Vocabulary in English.
You can jump to any section of this lesson:
Illnesses & Diseases – Health Problems
Firstly, learn common Names of Illnesses and Diseases in English – Asthma, a backache, a broken leg, a cold, a cough, an earache, a fever, the flu, a headache…
Illnesses and Treatments
Also, learn Illnesses and Treatments vocabulary in English.
Furthermore, here are different types of doctors and specialists in various areas in healthcare profession.
- Cardiologist: A doctor who studies or treats heart diseases
- Dentist: Someone whose job is to treat people’s teeth
- General practitioner: A medical doctor who treats acute and chronic illnesses and provides preventive care and health education to patients
- Surgeon: A doctor who does operations in a hospital
- Obstetrician: A doctor who has special training in obstetrics
- ENT Specialist: A surgical subspecialty within medicine that deals with conditions of the ear, nose, and throat and related structures of the head and neck
- Pathologist: A physician/ medical doctor who specialises in pathology, which is the diagnosing of disease using organs, tissue, and body fluids
- Pediatrician: A doctor who deals with children and their illnesses
- Podiatrist: A doctor who takes care of people’s feet and treats foot diseases
- Psychiatrist: A doctor trained in the treatment of mental illness
- Emergency doctor: A doctor works at an emergency department to care for acutely ill patients
- Veterinarian: Someone who is trained to give medical care and treatment to sick animals
Medicine is the science and practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease.
Medical Supplies and Equipment
Finally, here is a list of Medical Supplies and Equipment in English.