The term “heebie jeebies” may be frequently used in English conversations, and you may have thought about its meaning. We are going to look at the meaning of the term, how to use it in a conversation and where the term originated from.
“Heebie Jeebies” Meaning
When someone says that they have the ‘heebie jeebies’ they are saying that they feel nervous, anxious or scared due to a given situation.
Origin of this idiom
“Heebie Jeebies” Examples
Examples in Statements
This is a statement made by someone who is talking about a haunted house.
- ‘That big house at the end of the street is surely haunted, I get the heebie jeebies every time I walk past it.’
This next statement is one being made by a student about their teacher.
- ‘I don’t like that history teacher, he’s a bit weird, I always get the heebie jeebies whenever I am around him.’
More useful examples:
- How can you have the heebie-jeebies for Mr. Alex? Look at him.
- Don’t start talking about ghosts – they give me the heebie-jeebies.
- Seeing a spider, even on the TV, always gives me the heebie-jeebies.
- The speech therapist said she got the heebie-jeebies.
- Being alone in the dark gives me the heebie-jeebies.
- I don’t mind most insects, but spiders really give me the heebie-jeebies.
If you are wondering how the phrase ‘heebie jeebies’ might be used in a conversation, here are some examples to show you how it might look and sound.
The first is a conversation which is taking place between two friends.
- Person 1: “Have you ever been to Mikes house?”
- Person 2: “No, what is it like?”
- Person 1: “It’s nice but there is something about it that just gives me the heebie jeebies.”
This next conversation is one which is taking place between two people who have just watched a scary movie.
- Person 1: “That movie was excellent.”
- Person 2: “Yes, I’ve loved every one in the series, but they are so scary.”
- Person 1: “Definitely. I really got the heebie jeebies towards the end.”
Other Ways to Say “Heebie Jeebies”
Of course, there are many ways in which the term ‘heebie jeebies’ can be expressed, using different wording.
Here are some examples of other things you can say.
- The jitters
- The willies
- Deep depression