What does Hodl mean? If you are familiar or involved in the world of cryptocurrency, then you probably have seen this slang term before and are already aware of what it means. Chances are though if you are here that you have recently encountered this word in some form and are not aware of its meaning. Fortunately, if that is the case, you have made your way to the right place.
Here you will find the meaning of this slang term, the story of its origin, and some alternate meanings of the term if any exist. You will also be able to read through some conversation examples that illustrate the proper usage of this word to help you gain a deeper understanding of the term. Finally, you will see some alternative words and phrases that can be used as synonyms for the original term to convey the same meaning.
What Does “Hodl” Mean?
This slang term means to hold on or keep cryptocurrency rather than selling it.
Origin of “Hodl”
This term originated with the cryptocurrency Bitcoin. In 2013, a forum user who was drunk misspelled the word “hold” and instead typed that he was “hodling” a certain amount of this cryptocurrency. For whatever reason, the term was widely adopted by the cryptocurrency community and has since been combined with other words as a means to describe the different types of people that hold onto their cryptocurrency instead of selling it. Also, as other types of cryptocurrency enter the market, the term has carried over to them as well and no longer is solely used to describe the Bitcoin cryptocurrency.
There are currently no other known meanings of this slang term.
A text message exchange between two friends.
- Friend 1: I am hodling two hundred dollars of cryptocurrency.
- Friend 2: I think you mean holding?
- Friend 1: Well, yes and no. I am holding onto it and not selling it. However, in the world of cryptocurrency it is said hodling because of some drunk guy on the internet a few years ago.
- Friend 2: Wow! Too funny!
An online conversation between two cryptocurrency users.
- User 1: I define myself as a hodler.
- User 2: So you prefer to hodl your cryptocurrency rather than sell it?
- User 1: Yes, at least for a time until I can get a decent deal selling it.
Synonyms for “Hodl’
There are several words that you could use to substitute for this term that would maintain the same meaning. However, they would not be as noticeable or proper in the world of cryptocurrency users. Some of the alternative words you could use to mean the same thing include: