Homographs! What is a homograph? Learn homograph definition and useful list of homographs in English with example sentences, videos and ESL printable worksheets.
Useful list of 300+ homonyms in English from A-Z.
What is a Homograph?
Homograph definition: In English, homographs are words with the same spelling but having more than one meaning.
- Capital – capital
- Drop – drop
- Invite – invite
- Lead – lead
Homograph examples – image
List of common Homophones in English.
Homographs List from A-Z
List of homographs from A to Z with example sentences.
Homographs List (A)
Homographs examples that start with A.
- If you’re absent more than five times, you fail the course.
- He had absented himself from the office for the day.
- The research shows that preschool children are capable of thinking in abstract terms.
- Abstracts of about 300 words should be submitted to the conference committee who will decide which papers to accept.
- In the word ‘dinner’ the accent is on the first syllable.
- The women accent their eyes with makeup.
- I can give you the address of a good attorney.
- That letter was addressed to me.
- Those who advocate for doctorassisted suicide say the terminally ill should not have to suffer.
- She’s a passionate advocate of natural childbirth.
- Some economists attribute much of the rising wage inequality in this country to the shift in favor of the most skilled workers.
- She spent most of the interview describing the company’s attributes to me.
Homographs List (B)
Homographs examples that start with B.
- I’ll be back in a minute.
- She was the one who had fired him from his first job back in South Africa.
- Anna stood with her back to the window.
- Bounce the ball and try and hit it over the net.
- My hands were balled into fists.
- The band was playing old Beatles songs.
- She always ties her hair back in a band.
- Many insects are banded black and yellow.
- I worked for a bank.
- He jumped in and swam to the opposite bank.
- She was sitting at the bar.
- I ate three bars of chocolate.
- I play bass in a jazz band.
- Fresh sea bass is a great delicacy.
- I am afraid of bats.
- It’s his first time at bat in the major leagues.
- I can’t see a blessed thing without my glasses.
- They brought the children to Jesus and he blessed them.
- This is done with a formal bow to the king or queen.
- She had a red bow in her hair.
Homographs examples – image 2
Homographs List (C)
Homographs examples that start with C.
- Gabriella can speak French fluently.
- We drank a can of Coke each.
- Cairo is the capital of Egypt.
- You should write your name in capital letters.
- The robbery was captured on police video cameras.
- The two soldiers somehow managed to avoid capture.
- Her heart was pounding in her chest.
- In our family, we should have a medicine chest.
- They are clips from the new James Bond film.
- The wire is held on with a metal clip.
- A cock crowed as morning approached.
- He cocked a quizzical eyebrow at her.
- She lives in a commune.
- It is a place to commune with other women.
- The students’ rooms were compact, with a desk, bed, and closet built in.
- A compact was negotiated between the company and the union.
- Sulphur dioxide is a compound of sulphur and oxygen.
- A compound sentence contains two or more clauses.
- Snow falling on the mountainsides is compressed into ice.
- Apply a cold compress to the injury.
- We are conducting a survey of consumer attitudes towards organic food.
- The Senator’s conduct is being investigated by the Ethics Committee.
- Marx points out the potential conflicts below the surface of society.
- In other ways the activities of the councils tend to conflict with regional policy and weaken its effects.
- Young Frenchmen were conscripted into the army and forced to fight in Algeria.
- The average number of conscripts in training has fallen from 80,000 to about 15,000.
- Both can take new consorts but only their daughter can be the new Everqueen.
- He is known to have consorted with prostitutes.
- They constructed a shelter out of fallen branches.
- The list of constructs can be endless.
- The content of the media course includes scripting, editing, and camera work.
- Andy was a good husband, and Nicky was clearly very content.
- Stone decided to hold a contest to see who could write the best song.
- His wife is contesting a seat on the council.
- While there are similarities in the two cultures, there are also great contrasts.
- Her actions and her promises contrasted sharply.
- The stocks can be easily converted to cash.
- She is a convert.
- She was convicted of shoplifting.
- There was a report on the news about an escaped convict.
- She swam out into the cool water.
- When tempers had cooled, he apologized.
- Four people will appear in court today, charged with fraud.
- His campaign team has assiduously courted the media.
Homographs List (D)
Homographs examples that start with D.
- The date on the letter was 30th August 1962.
- She and Ron go to the park to date.
- His sister was very dear to him.
- Come along, my dear, take a seat.
- The company is in default on its loan agreement.
- He defaulted on his child support payments.
- This area of the country is mostly desert.
- The village was deserted.
- We played dice all night.
- You move forward according to the number on the dice.
- Most babies can digest a wide range of food easily.
- If you’d rather receive your mail in large batches than have it trickle through, request a digest where available.
- Sewage is discharged directly into the sea.
- Nurses visit the mother and baby for two weeks after their discharge from the hospital.
- Employees can buy books at a discount.
We cannot discount the possibility of further strikes.
- You need to do more exercise.
- We’re having a do to celebrate his 30th birthday.
- The sun was going down and it would soon be dark.
- He down the coffee in one gulp.
- The apples are beginning to drop from the trees.
- A single drop of blood splashed onto the floor.
- Every afternoon they went to the park to feed the duck.
- He had to duck as he came through the door.
Homographs examples – image 3
Homographs List (E)
Homographs examples that start with E.
- My parents’ divorce had a big effect on me.
- Many parents lack confidence in their ability to effect change in their children’s behavior.
- Opposition leaders were quick to exploit government embarrassment over the incident.
- His courage and exploit were legendary.
- They used torture to extract information about their families.
- I’ve only seen short extract from the film.
Homographs List (F)
Homographs examples that start with F.
- September had come and the leaves were starting to fall.
- The area is beautiful in the fall.
- He’s a big fan of Elvis Presley.
- He is turning on the electric fan.
- I’m early—my watch must be fast.
- Gandhi drank some orange juice to break his threeweek fast.
- Every file on the same disk must have a different name.
- We began to file out into the car park.
- The project will only go ahead if they can raise the necessary finance.
- He took a job to finance his stay in Germany.
- If you want to use cheese instead of chicken, that’s fine.
- Offenders will be liable to a heavy fine.
- His clothes did not fit him very well.
- You must be very fit if you do so much running.
- I wasn’t sure if the raft would float.
- We stood and watched the Carnival float drive past.
- The pilot was instructed to fly the plane to Montreal airport.
- A fly was buzzing against the window.
- My foot hurts.
- Once again it will be the taxpayer who has to foot the bill.
- She was a frequent visitor to the house.
- We met in a local bar much frequented by students.
- I’m working for a firm of accountants.
- These peaches are still firm.
- A fly was buzzing against the window.
- Let’s fly a kite.
Homographs List (G-H)
Homographs examples that start with G &H.
- I didn’t know he was gay.
- We don’t see gays being beaten to death in our country because of their sexuality.
- Let’s have the party at my house.
- The museum is housed in the Old Court House.
Homographs List (I)
Homographs examples that start with I.
- The report assesses the impact of AIDS on the gay community.
- The company’s performance was impacted by the high value of the pound.
- Prejudices can easily become implanted in the mind.
- The history of implants has been equally painful; implants can shift or turn themselves upside down.
- Incense burned in a corner of the room.
- The decision incensed the workforce.
- I incline to the view that we should take no action at this stage.
- The council houses followed the curve of the road, which wound up a slight incline.
- The population has increased from 1.2 million to 1.8 million.
- There has been a marked increase in the use of firearms.
- They inserted a tube in his mouth to help him breathe.
- These inserts fit inside any style of shoe.
- I have never been so insulted in my life!
- The crowd was shouting insults at the police.
- The new program should help solve some of the problems of data interchange between companies with different computer systems.
- There were two identical copies of each object that were interchanged regularly between trials.
- We’re not on intimate terms with our neighbors.
- He was a wartime minister and intimate of Churchill.
- There was something about him that intrigued her.
- The young heroine steps into a web of intrigue in the academic world.
- The treaty was declared invalid because it had not been ratified.
- She had been a delicate child and her parents had treated her as an invalid.
- They have invited me to go to Paris with them.
- Thanks for your invite.
Homographs List (L)
Homographs examples that start with L.
- She took the lead in the second lap.
- Lead exposure can be harmful to everyone, especially young children and babies.
- We all have different learned responses to anger.
I learned a lot from my father.
- The plane leaves at 12.30.
- Add a few leaves of fresh basil to the salad.
- Look left and right before you cross the road.
- The plane left for Dallas last night.
- There’s a letter for you.
‘B’ is the second letter of the alphabet.
- We used to live in London.
- The club has live music most nights.
Homographs examples – image 4
Homographs List (M)
Homographs examples that start with M.
- For the character to know and demonstrate their doom, their body must physically manifest the flaw through an impairment.
- And I can’t help seeing the manifest in any case, I’ve always been interested in it.
- If you suspect a gas leak do not strike a match or use electricity.
- Her fingerprints match those found at the scene of the crime.
- What does this sentence mean?
- He needed to find a mean between frankness and rudeness.
- He said he might come tomorrow.
- I pushed the rock with all my might.
- There were all kinds of thoughts running through my mind.
- I hope you don’t mind the noise.
- I’ll be back in a few minutes.
- You’d better minute that point.
- There was hardly any traffic, just a few parked cars and a cluster of mopeds around the door of the bar opposite.
- The week he died, we all sat around and moped.
Homographs List (N-O)
Homographs examples that start with N & O.
- The key was hanging on a nail by the door.
- I’ve broken my nail.
- I read a lot of novels.
- What a novel idea!
- My phone number is 266998.
- I number her among my closest friends.
- The object of the game is to improve children’s math skills.
- His supporters will certainly object if he is fired.
- The new law makes it a criminal offense to drink alcohol in public places.
- He played offense for the Chicago Bulls.
Homographs List (P)
Homographs examples that start with P.
- He held the bird gently in the palm of his hand.
- The tropical tree which grows near beaches or in deserts, with a long straight trunk and large pointed leaves at the top, is coconut palm.
- We went for a walk in the park.
- They had a sheet showing a car park and also cars to cut out.
- Write your essays in pen not pencil.
- You should pen a letter to the local paper.
- Well I’m sorry—but nobody’s perfect.
- Mock trials help students perfect their legal skills.
- She was wearing too much perfume.
- One bloom has the power to perfume a whole room.
- They have a pet a dog.
- He did not pet it, or stroke it: he stood staring.
- The plain fact is that nobody really knows.
- The grassy plain gave way to an extensive swamp.
- You’ll have to play inside today.
- On the next play, Johnson ran 15 yards for a touchdown.
- He’s just saying that to prove a point.
- Everything seemed to point in one direction.
- I give it a polish now and again.
Your essay is good, you just need to polish it a bit.
- The eight compilations range from teen pop to classical.
- I’ll pop over and see you this evening.
- What can I get him for a birthday present?
- You’ve got to forget the past and start living in the present.
- They were unable to produce any statistics to verify their claims.
- The shop sells only fresh local produce.
- We have made great progress in controlling inflation.
- The course allows students to progress at their own speed.
- The final term will be devoted to project work.
- They sought advice on how to project a more positive image of their company.
- These bullets can punch a hole through 20 mm steel plate.
- I managed to land a punch on his chin.
Homographs List (Q-R)
Homographs examples that start with Q & R.
- It’s a quarter past twelve.
- I peel and quarter an apple.
- There is a race between the two best runners of the club.
- We race each other back to the car.
- Some children can read and write before they go to school.
- I was having a quiet read when the phone rang.
- Some parts of the country fell into rebel hands.
- Most teenagers find something to rebel against.
- She could not recall his name.
- She has amazing powers of recall.
- He has carried out extensive research into renewable energy sources.
- We have to research how the product will actually be used.
- She hopes to resume work after the baby is born.
- He gave a resume of the year’s work and wished the Society another successful year.
- Government forces moved in to retake the city.
- We had to do a retake before we got it right.
- I’m sure I’m right.
- Take a right turn at the intersection.
- What a beautiful ring!
- The children sat on the floor in a ring.
- Komuro formed a rock band with some friends while in college.
- To build the tunnel, they had to cut through 500 feet of solid rock.
- She has a rose garden.
- They rose from the table.
- We sat in a row at the back of the room.
- A row has broken out over education.
- I have a 12inch ruler.
- King Priam was a firm, but just ruler.
Homographs List (S)
Homographs examples that start with S.
- Saw is a tool that has a long blade with sharp points along one of its edges.
- Last night, I saw a lovely girl.
- They entertain on a large scale.
- He somehow managed to scale the sheer outside wall of the tower.
- This is the second time it’s happened.
- The water flows at about 1.5 meters per second.
- The school is housed in two separate buildings.
- Stir the sauce constantly so that it does not separate.
- There are two restaurants on board ship.
- The company continues to ship more computer systems than its rivals.
- Headaches may be a sign of stress.
- You forgot to sign the cheque.
- The ships sink to the bottom of the sea.
- I felt chained to the kitchen sink.
- You can slide the front seats forward if necessary.
- The economy is on the slide.
- He drew every spoke in the wheels, and the whole affair looked as if it had been instantaneously petrified or arrested.
- I spoke to her last Wednesday.
- I’m sorry to spring it on you, but I’ve been offered another job.
- He was born in the spring of 1944.
- He ate the apple, stalk and all.
- Snatching up my bag, I stalk out of the room.
- He was in a state of permanent depression.
- The Queen is on a state visit to Moscow.
- Don’t stick your fingers through the bars of the cage.
- The boys were throwing sticks and stones at the dog.
- I have nothing more to say on the subject.
- Biology is my favorite subject.
- If you suspect a gas leak, do not strike a match or even turn on an electric light.
- He is the prime suspect in the case.
Homographs List (T-W)
Homographs examples that start with T & W.
- He had to tie her hands together.
- I wear a shirt and tie at work.
- I’ll tear the package open.
- She left the room in tears.
- I’d like to propose a toast to the bride and groom.
- I had a piece of toast for breakfast.
- He’s far too young to go on his own.
- “I’m feeling hungry.” – “Me too.”
- We went on a trip to the mountains.
- Someone will trip over that cable.
- There are three main types of contracts.
- This letter will need to be typed again.
- I like watching TV every night.
- I glanced at my watch.
- Huge waves were breaking on the shore.
- The people on the bus waved and we waved back.
- The conference was very well organized.
- The dog fell down a well.
- The wind is blowing from the south.
- Give the handle another couple of winds.
- He died from the wounds he had received to his chest.
- He had been wounded in the arm.
Homographs Examples | Pictures
List of Homographs | Homographs Examples | Image 1
List of Homographs | Homographs Examples | Image 2
Homographs List | Homographs Examples | Image 3
List of Homographs | Homographs Examples | Image 4
Learn list of homographs illustrated with pictures and pronunciation video.