The way that you ask someone “how are you?” may vary depending on who is being asked and in what setting the conversation is taking place. Below we will explore all the ways in which you can ask “how are you?”. This way your conversations or communications will be effortless and free of any awkwardness.
Other Ways to Ask “How Are You?”
The English language is one of the most versatile and complex languages on the planet. As such there are several ways to express common phrases.
The list below shows different ways to ask “How Are You” in English that you can use in your daily English conversations.
- How’s everything?
- How’s it going?
- How are things?
- What’s up?
- How are you doing?
- What’s new?
- You all right?
- How have you been?
- How are things going?
- Are you well?
- What’s going on?
- How are you feeling?
- What are you up to?
- What’s sizzling?
- How do you do?
- What’s good in the hood?
- Long time no see!
- What’s new with you?
- How long has it been?
- Must be tough, huh?
- Anything interesting happening in your life lately?
- What is happening?
- How are you holding up?
- How is life sailing?
- What are you heading?
- How are things coming along?
- What was the highlight of your day, so far?
- How was your day?
- What have you been doing since we last talked?
- How’s every little thing in your life?
- How do you fare?
- How’s it rolling?
- What’s up with the flow?
- What’s with the face?
- How’s everything coming together?
- Is there anything concerning you?
- What’s the latest buzz in your world?
- What’s shakin’?
How to answer “How are you” in English.
Formal Ways to Ask “How Are You?”
Formal greetings can be used in galas, formal dinners, operas, lectures and so on. They are often used when interacting with persons who you are meeting for the first time or mere acquaintances. Here is a helpful list to help you in a formal setting.
- “How have you been getting on?” This phrase is British in origin. You can use this one when you are enquiring about someone’s well-being.
- “How are things with you?” This can be used in neutral settings.
- “How do you do?” This one is traditional. It can be used in professional and high-society circles It’s usually an icebreaker.
- “How have you been faring?” This one is not heard very often and has old English roots. However, it is a perfectly acceptable way to enquire about someone’s well-being.
Informal Ways to Ask “How Are You?
These can be used with friends, family and anyone with whom you are intimately familiar. Informal settings can be parties, family dinners, a bar, the list goes on.
- “How have you been keeping?”
- “How’s everything?”
- “What’s been happening?”
- “How’s everything going?”
- “What’s been going on?”
- “What’s up?”
- “How’s life?”
- “How are things?”
- “What’s new?”
- “How’s it going?”
- “How are you doing?”
- “How are you holding up? “We have set apart this one since it is used when you know a person is having a difficult time.
Idiomatic Ways to Ask “How Are You?”
These are playful, casual ways to find out how your buddy or pal is doing. They are often influenced by the slang of the times. Here are a few examples
- “How’s it hanging?” This idiom is used when friends are joking in a lighthearted atmosphere.
- “How’s life been treating you?” – A wonderful starter to catch up on what has been happening in someone else’s life.
- “What’s good?”- A casual way to greet your friends.
- “What’s up, buttercup?” -This is an affectionate way to ask “how are you”.
Professional Ways to Ask “How Are You?”
In a business setting, it is important to be cordial while maintaining a sense of professionalism. This could be in a business correspondence like an email, on the phone, or in a meeting.
In business emails, you do not generally ask” how are you?” It is often replaced by:
- I hope all is well with you
- I hope this correspondence finds you well
In a meeting, the “how are you” part is often a formality. You can simply use
- “How have you been?” or
- “I trust all is well with all of you” if you are addressing the entire gathering.
Both responses can be used on the phone depending on how long you have known the person you are interacting with.
So as you can tell, there are several ways to ask the question “how are you” depending on the situation. The guide above will help you respond appropriately wherever you are.
Alternative Ways to Ask “How Are You” | Image
Last Updated on August 17, 2023