The phrase “ice queen” is a relative newcomer to the idiom game. However, its meaning is pretty simple to deduce from the two words that make up the phrase. If you are wondering what this phrase means, you have come to the right place. Here, you will not only find the meaning, but you will also find origin information, example sentences and conversations, and alternative words or phrases that you can use in place of the phrase “ice queen” that mean the same thing.
Ice Queen Meaning
The idiom “ice queen” is a descriptive phrase used to describe heartless females who show little or no emotion. They are women who appear cold and show little warmth, care or affection for anyone or anything but themselves in most situations.
Origin of the idiomatic phrase
There is very little origin information know regarding the common idiomatic saying “ice queen.” From its parts, the meaning appears obvious. “Ice” is extremely cold and hard and “queen” is a female in power of herself and others. It is believed that this phrase has been used in the meaning stated above since the early 19th-century.
“Ice Queen” Examples
- If you take the time to get to know someone you perceive as an ice queen, you may find out they are just protective of their emotions.
- People often misinterpret me as an ice queen because I am shy and quiet.
A discussion between mother and daughter.
- Daughter: I wish you would quit being so hard on my mom.
- Mother: I am sorry. I am always so stressed out between your brother and work.
- Daughter: I know, but be an ice queen at work, not at home with me.
A conversation between two co-workers.
- Co-worker 1: That new girl Betsy is an ice queen.
- Co-worker 2: Why do you say that?
- Co-worker 1: She never talks to anyone and she gives the impression she thinks she is better than everyone else.
- Co-worker 2: I didn’t get that impression of her when I spoke to her yesterday. I think you just need to get to know her better.
Alternatives to “Ice Queen”
There are several words or phrases that you could use to replace the phrase “ice queen” and still relay the same message. Some of the alternatives you could use include:
- Cold heart female
- Uncaring woman
- Ice woman
Ice Queen | Image