Phrases and Idioms about Appearance! List of useful idioms about appearance (i.e. beauty idioms…) in English with meaning, ESL picture and example sentences.
Phrases and Idioms about Appearance
List of Appearance Idioms
- (Not a) spring chicken
- All Dressed Up And Nowhere To Go
- All Fur Coat And No Knickers
- Beauty Is Only Skin Deep
- Clean up nicely
- Dead ringer
- Don’t Judge a Book by Its Cover
- Put one’s face on
Idioms about Appearance with Meaning and Examples
(Not a) spring chicken
- Meaning: (No longer) young
- Example: She’s no spring chicken, but she’s still very good looking.
All Dressed Up And Nowhere To Go
- Meaning: Prepared (with clothing or otherwise) for an event that does not occur
- Example: When my presentation was cancelled, I felt all dressed up with nowhere to go.
All Fur Coat And No Knickers
- Meaning: Superficially attractive, physically or otherwise
- Example: The candidate was popular during the campaign, but after she became Prime Minister, people realized she was all fur coat and no knickers.
Beauty Is Only Skin Deep
- Meaning: External appearance is a superficial basis for judging someone.
- Example: Sarah is gorgeous, but watch out—she has a really nasty side. Beauty is only skin deep.
Clean up nicely
- Meaning: Look good when one is dressed up. Usually said of women.
- Example: Emily usually just wears jeans and a T-shirt, but she cleans up nicely.
- Meaning: Very similar in appearance
- Example: She’s a dead ringer for her older sister.
Don’t Judge a Book by Its Cover
- Meaning: Don’t be deceived by looks; don’t rely on looks when judging someone or something.
- Example: Don’t judge a book by its cover — she’s beautiful, but she can be very deceptive.
- Meaning: An extremely beautiful woman
- Example: When Samantha was in her teens she looked ordinary, but in her early 20s she turned into a real knockout!
Put one’s face on
- Meaning: Apply cosmetics
- Example: Let me just put my face on, and I’ll meet you at the restaurant in 15 minutes.
Phrases and Idioms about Appearance | Image
Useful Idioms about Appearance in English