Useful Idioms about Skills in English with meaning and examples.
- Meaning: A display of incompetence
- Example: It’s amateur hour down there. We need a quality-control department, and fast.
As Far as I Can Throw (someone)
- Meaning: Only slightly
- Example: Don’t lend her money. I trust her about as far as I can throw her.
Bag of Tricks
- Meaning: A set of methods or resources
- Example: We’re stuck. Go ask Ron. I’m sure he has something in his bag of tricks that will solve the problem.
Beat Someone To The Draw
- Meaning: To accomplish or obtain something more quickly than someone else
- Example: I wanted to buy Sally’s car, but Dave beat me to the draw.
Drop the Ball
- Meaning: Fail to fulfill one’s responsibilities; make a mistake
- Example: Richard dropped the ball on the marketing campaign. Now the entire launch is behind schedule.
Useful Idioms about Skills in English
Find One’s Voice
- Meaning: Become more confident in expressing oneself
- Example: During my freshman year I was very shy, but lately I’ve been finding my voice in class and contributing more to the discussions.
Green as Grass
- Meaning: Lacking training, naïve; often said of young people in new jobs
- Example: Barbara is green as grass, but give her time – it took us all a few months to learn the ropes here.
Lose One’s Touch
- Meaning: Suffer a decline in one’s skill at doing something
- Example: I used to be able to make ten shots in a row from the foul line. I guess I’m losing my touch.
Not Cut Out for (Something)
- Meaning: Not naturally skillful enough to do something well
- Example: I’ve practiced, but my scores are terrible. I guess I’m just not cut out for golf.
Sharp as a Tack
- Meaning: Mentally agile
- Example: My grandmother is 92 years old, but she’s still sharp as a tack.
September 19, 2018
- As Far as I Can Throw (someone)
- Beat Someone To The Draw
- common idioms about skills
- Drop the Ball
- english idioms: skills
- Find One's Voice
- Green as Grass
- Idioms about Skills
- idioms for kids
- idioms related to skills
- idioms related to talent
- list of idioms
- Lose One's Touch
- Not Cut Out for (Something)
- Sharp as a Tack
- skills idioms