Looking for the meaning of the idiomatic expression “In Lieu Of”? Idioms are phrases that use figurative language as a way to convey thoughts and feelings during conversation. They are considered to be a part of informal speech. “In lieu of” is common idiom used today. Here you will find the meaning of this phrase, the story of its origin, examples of how it is properly used in everyday conversations/statements and other ways the phrase can be said in a literal sense.
In Lieu Of
In Lieu Of Meaning
The word lieu comes from French and means place or position. Therefore, the idiom “in lieu of” means using something in place of something else.
Origin of this idiomatic expression
The use of the word lieu can be traced back to the 13th century. During this time, the idiom was born as the word “in lieu of” became the common way to use the word properly.
“In Lieu Of” Examples
Examples in Statements
An obituary statement online from the funeral home.
- “The family requests that you send cash to alleviate medical expenses in lieu of flowers.”
A statement made in the local paper regarding donations.
- “In lieu of can goods, the local homeless shelter would like donations of clothing.”
Examples in Conversation
A conversation between two co-workers.
- Co-worker 1: I am glad they decided to install this soda machine in the break room.
- Co-worker 2: Really?! I would have much rather had a water fountain installed in lieu of the soda machine.
A conversation between a customer and a waiter.
- Customer: I will have the clams.
- Waiter: Oh I am sorry, sir, but we ran out of clams later in the evening.
- Customer: Oh okay. What do you recommend?
- Waiter: In lieu of the clams, I would recommend the shrimp.
- A plate of hardboiled eggs sat in the center; in lieu of flowers.
- A neon spike in the window announces the bar in lieu of a sign.
- When I go on trips, I consider sending her menus in lieu of postcards.
Other Ways to Say “In Lieu Of”
Idioms always have a literal way that they can be stated in conversation. For instance, you could use instead of, rather than or in the place of to say the same thing.
“In Lieu Of” synonyms:
- In place of
- Instead of
- Rather than
In Lieu Of Meaning | Image