What is the meaning of “In Memory Of”? Although it is a sad and dismal thing to think about, you have probably seen or heard this phrase if you have ever been to a funeral for someone that has passed away. If you did not know what this phrase meant at the time and were looking to learn what it meant, then you have arrived at the right place.
Here you will not only find the meaning of this helpful English idiom, but you will also find some information on its origin. Furthermore, you will discover some example sentences and conversations highlighting the usage of this phrase in its proper context to help you better understand what it means. Finally, you will see some synonymous phrases that you can use interchangeably for this phrase during a conversation to bear the same meaning.
In Memory Of
In Memory Of Meaning
This idiomatic phrase means to do something in remembrance or celebration of someone, most often someone who is deceased.
Origin of this idiom
There is little information available regarding the origin of this idiom other than it was first recorded in the first half of the 1300s.
“In Memory Of” Examples
- After someone you love passes away, it is customary to hold some kind of service in memory of them.
- The wall with all the soldier’s names listed was created in memory of all that died in the war.
- Let’s observe a minute’s silence in memory of the dead.
- A service was held in memory of those who had died in the fighting.
- This monument was erected in memory of F. D. Roosevelt.
A conversation between father and son.
- Father: How was your day son?
- Son: It was good. I volunteered to be on a committee at school who is in charge of organizing a ceremony in memory of the teens that died in that crash out by the lake on Thursday night.
- Father: That’s great, son! I am glad the school and the community are showing their support for the family and sympathy for those lost.
A conversation between two co-workers.
- Co-worker 1: I think we should plan a ceremony for Carol. She has been with the company for a long time and knows many people here.
- Co-worker 2: I agree. I think it would be great to organize something in memory of her for all of her friends here.
Synonyms for “In Memory Of”
There are several phrases that you can use to substitute for this phrase in conversation to convey the same meaning. Some of the other phrases that you could use include:
- In celebration of
- In remembrance of
- In observation of
What Is “In Memory Of”? | Image