You may have heard someone utter the words ‘in vino veritas’ and wondered what they were talking about. We are going to look at the meaning of this phrase and how it can be used in a conversation. We will also look into the history of the saying and where it first came from.
In Vino Veritas
“In Vino Veritas” Meaning
The meaning of the term ‘in vino veritas’ directly translates from Latin to ‘in wine lies the truth.‘ It is saying that when a person drinks alcohol and becomes intoxicated, they are more likely to speak truthfully.
Origin of this idiom
As we previously discovered, this phrase comes from the Latin language. However, the phrase can also be traced back to ancient Greece where it was recorded in that language in poetry. The phrase is still used in Italy now in it’s original language.
“In Vino Veritas” Examples
Examples in Statements
This is a statement made in a blog post.
- ‘I had felt that when I drank wine, I spilt out my deepest secrets, as they say in vino veritas. This is why I decided to stop drinking.’
Here is a statement from one friend to another.
- ‘You really let loose on John last night after all those drinks, in vino veritas, you certainly told him what you really thought.’
There are many times you might hear the idiom ‘in vino veritas’ in a conversation. Here are some examples.
The first conversation takes place between a woman and a man.
- Person 1: “I am so sorry for telling you that I loved you at the party yesterday.”
- Person 2: “It’s quite alright.”
- Person 1: “I would never have said it if I had been sober.”
- Person 2: “In vino veritas. At least the truth is out now.”
This is a conversation between two friends.
- Person 1: “You said some really nasty things to me last night.”
- Person 2: “I have wanted to tell you how much you have hurt me for a long time now.”
- Person 1: “So it was all true?”
- Person 2: “You know what they say, in vino veritas.”
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There are other ways in which you can say the term ‘in vino veritas’ using different wording.
Here are some examples of other things you might say.
- The truth comes out after a drink
- The drink doesn’t lie
In Vino Veritas | Image