You may often hear the term ‘including but not limited to’ in English conversations and written text but what does this term mean? We are going to look at the meaning of this phrase and how we can use it in a conversation. We will also look at where this term came from and a little background from behind it.
Including But Not Limited To
“Including But Not Limited To” Meaning
When someone says ‘including but not limited to’ they are saying that a situation may include certain things but these are not the only things included. For example, you might say something like ‘the alphabet includes but is not limited to the letters A, B, and C.’
Origin of this idiom
The origin of this phrase is within contract writing. This means that it usually linked to a legal background and can often be found in the terms and conditions of something.
“Including But Not Limited To” Examples
Examples in Statements
This is a statement made by a restaurant.
- ‘The dish may contain allergens which include but are not limited to shellfish, dairy, and gluten.’
Here is a statement made by a school.
- ‘We offer a range of subjects of which maths, science, and drama are included but not limited to.’
The term ‘including but not limited to’ can be found in various different conversations. Here are some examples to show how it can be sued.
The first conversation is between a new employee and his boss.
- Person 1: “Welcome to the team, is there any question?”
- Person 2: “Yes, what exactly will my duties be?”
- Person 1: “They will include but not be limited to filing, typing, and taking phone calls.”
The next conversation is between a store manager and a customer.
- Person 1: “I am looking for some bread.”
- Person 2: “We have many different kinds.”
- Person 1: “What kinds do you have?”
- Person 2: “The types of bread we have included but are not limited to rye, seeded, and tiger bread.”
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There are other ways in which you can express the meaning of the term ‘including but not limited to.’
Here are some other things you can say which convey the same meaning.
- Some of the things included are
- An example of what is included
“Including But Not Limited To” | Picture