What does IRL mean? In this article, you will learn the definition, how and when to use this text abbreviation with useful conversation examples and ESL infographic in English.
What Does IRL Mean?
The abbreviation ‘irl’ means ‘In Real Life’. A phrase used to define what is real in messages. This term is most commonly used among online gamers. Sometimes real life can be hard to remember exists while in an online universe, using the term ‘irl’ allows players to discuss things that are happening around them and not get mistaken for thinking it only happened online.
How this internet slang word is normally used.
- Gamer 1: My dog just ran over me.
- Gamer 2: Really they can do that?
- Gamer 1: No man irl.
While playing games like ‘Sims’ where many things can sound like real-life instances, sometimes people will have to explain in chat that they meant it happened outside of the game.
- Texter 1: I finally beat that flying level on Crash last night.
- Texter 2: You know what I want to take flying lessons.
- Texter 2: You know irl.
- Texter 1: That would be fun.
Here you have friends talking about a game they have been playing and one friend says he thinks learning to fly in real life, not just the virtual life would be a blast.
- Indy Racing League
- International Racing League
- Irish Investment Fund, Inc.
- Integrated Reader Lock
- Independent Reading Level
- Insane Racing League
- Internal Representation Language
- It’s Ridiculously Lame
- Internet Research Lab