Learn English Vocabulary for Jobs and Occupations through Pictures and Examples.
A job, or occupation, is a person’s role in society. More specifically, a job is an activity, often regular and performed in exchange for payment. Many people have multiple jobs.
A person can begin a job by becoming an employee, volunteering, starting a business, or becoming a parent. The duration of a job may range from temporary to a lifetime.
You can jump to any section of this lesson:
- 1 Jobs and Occupations Vocabulary | Video
- 2 Names of Jobs and Occupations
- 2.1 Office worker
- 2.2 Computer programmer
- 2.3 Veterinarian
- 2.4 Street vendor
- 2.5 Factory worker
- 2.6 Miner
- 2.7 Teacher
- 2.8 Real estate agent
- 2.9 Bellboy
- 2.10 Gas station attendant
- 2.11 Speaker
- 2.12 Delivery man
- 2.13 Butcher
- 2.14 Pharmacist
- 2.15 Receptionist
- 2.16 Politician
- 2.17 Tour guide
- 2.18 Entrepreneur
- 2.19 Ballet dancer
- 2.20 Astronaut
- 2.21 Judge
- 2.22 Customs officer
- 2.23 Lawyer
- 2.24 Cashier
- 2.25 Taxi driver
- 2.26 Plumber
- 2.27 Musician
- 2.28 Chef
- 2.29 Baker
- 2.30 Artist
- 2.31 Waiter
- 2.32 Paramedic
- 2.33 Dentist
- 2.34 Train conductor
- 2.35 Nurse
- 2.36 Electrician
- 2.37 Doctor
- 2.38 Businessman
- 2.39 American football player
- 2.40 Student
- 2.41 Surgeon
- 2.42 Doorman
- 2.43 Secretary
- 2.44 Soldier
- 2.45 Repairman
- 2.46 Scientist
- 2.47 Reporter
- 2.48 Construction worker
- 2.49 Professor
- 2.50 Police officer
- 2.51 Postman
- 2.52 Photographer
- 2.53 Pilot
- 2.54 Catholic nun
- 2.55 Painter
- 2.56 Mechanic
- 2.57 Magician
- 2.58 Lifeguard
- 2.59 Lunchroom supervisor
- 2.60 Clown
- 2.61 Housekeeper
- 2.62 Gardener
- 2.63 Geisha
- 2.64 Footballer
- 2.65 Forest ranger
- 2.66 Builder
- 2.67 Foreman
- 2.68 Farmer
- 2.69 Flight attendant
- 2.70 Fireman
- 2.71 Engineer
- 2.72 Carpenter
- 2.73 Architect
- 2.74 Boxer
- 2.75 Cameraman
- 2.76 Detective
- 2.77 Journalist
- 2.78 Housewife
- 2.79 Diver
- 2.80 Pope
- 2.81 Priest
- 2.82 Salesman
- 2.83 Librarian
- 2.84 Pirate
- 2.85 Singer
- 3 List of Jobs and Occupations | Image 1
- 4 List of Jobs and Occupations | Image 2
- 5 List of Jobs and Occupations | Image 3
Jobs and Occupations Vocabulary | Video
Names of Jobs and Occupations
– I’m an office worker.
– Mike found a challenging job as a computer programmer.
– She is a veterinarian, she is very kind to animals.
– Starting as a street vendor, he is now general manager of a trading corporation in Beijing.
– He did a lot to improve conditions for factory worker.
– He was a miner all his working life.
– The teacher told the children to stop chattering in class.
Real estate agent
– The real estate agent showed them house after house, but they couldn’t find one they liked.
– The bellboy will lead you to your room.
Gas station attendant
– The gas station attendant warns them to service the car soon.
– The students assailed the speaker with questions.
– I did not want to appear like a delivery man.
– The butcher prepared a rack of pork.
– The pharmacist will make up your prescription.
– He is a receptionist in a hotel.
– The politician gave an equivocal answer.
– Tomorrow the tour guide will take us to tour Imperial Palace.
– Being an entrepreneur is a way of fulfilling your creative potential.
– I wanted to be a ballet dancer when I was a child.
– The rocket boosts the astronaut into space.
– A good judge does not make arbitrary decisions.
– The customs officer inspected my passport suspiciously.
– The lawyer culled important facts from the mass of evidence.
– I work at a book store as a cashier once a week.
– The taxi driver picked up a fare outside the opera house.
– We had to call a plumber to unblock the drains.
– He had been a talented musician in his youth.
– The chef used an electric grinder in the kitchen.
– The baker bakes his bread in the bakery.
– She wanted a famous artist to paint her picture.
– The waiter brought up the next dish.
– A paramedic bandaged his foot.
– You should visit your dentist at least twice a year.
– He is a train conductor.
– The nurse should try to develop empathy between herself and the patient.
– We need an electrician to mend the iron.
– The doctor forbids him to smoke.
– The rich businessman gave his whole fortune to the hospital.
American football player
– I was a fairly good American football player in my youth.
– The teacher told the student to pay attention to his spelling.
– The surgeon is performing an eye operation.
– I showed the doorman my card and he gave a friendly nod.
– My secretary will phone you to arrange a meeting.
– He wants to be a soldier when he grows up.
– The repairman installed an iron latch on the door.
– Einstein was a great scientist.
– She was a TV reporter and worked long hours.
– My father is a temporary construction worker. He moves around all the time.
– Tom reported his discoveries to the professor.
– I was a police officer in the city of New York.
– The postman has brought a parcel for you.
– I think she will be successful as a photographer.
– The pilot inquired about the weather condition.
– Later into her life she would become a Catholic nun.
– The young painter has exhibited in several galleries.
– The mechanic was busy repairing the machine.
– The magician conjured a rabbit out of his hat.
– There is always a lifeguard to ensure that no one comes to any harm.
– He is a lunchroom supervisor at a school.
– She dressed up as a clown with a white face and red nose.
– You need a housekeeper to nurse your property.
– The gardener mows the grass regularly.
– I took a very strict examination to become a geisha.
– The footballer took a strike at the goal.
– The group was noticed by a forest ranger, who notified border guards.
– Her father was a builder in Birmingham.
– The foreman is always swearing at the workers.
– The farmer grows potatoes in this field.
– The flight attendant welcomed us aboard.
– The fireman sent jets of water into the burning house.
– The young engineer rejoiced in his success.
– The carpenter was hammering in his workshop.
– He is the architect who planned the new shopping centre.
– The boxer has fought many opponents.
– A cameraman and the art director were injured in the incident.
– Sherlock Holmes is a famous detective in stories.
– My job as a journalist is to expose the truth.
– I don’t want to be a housewife after marriage.
She wants to become a diver.
– He was the first pope to visit the White House.
– She asked the priest to pray with her.
– He is still a salesman and can relate to the situation.
– The librarian entered a new book in the catalogue.
– Edward played at being a pirate.
– She’s a singer with a band.