What does “kangaroo court” mean? You may have heard the term ‘kangaroo court’ in conversation before and wondered what the term meant. Let’s take a look at the meaning behind this phrase and how it can be used in a day to day conversation. We will also take a look at where the term came from in the first place.
“Kangaroo Court” Meaning
When someone uses the idiomatic phrase ‘kangaroo court’ they are talking about a court that does not follow the usual rules and is dishonest in its nature.
Origin of this idiom
The phrase ‘kangaroo court’ is believed to have derived from the idea of judges jumping around from place to place. There are also theories that suggest the term came from the Australian penal system many years ago.
“Kangaroo Court” Examples
Examples in Statements
This is a statement made on a news reports
- ‘The defendant got away with the crime but it was no surprise since the verdict was heard in a kangaroo court.’
Here is a statement made by a suspect in a crime.
- ‘I really hope I am cleared of these charges, I do not want to stand trial in that kangaroo court.’
- It was like a kangaroo court, he thought.
- Saddam is to face a kangaroo court in Baghdad.
- I think this kangaroo court is a terrible idea, you moron.
- He leads the reader into assuming that the tribunal is anything other than a kangaroo court.
- All the same, theirs was not a kangaroo court.
You may be curious to see how the term’ kangaroo court’ can be used in a conversation. Here are some examples of how it might appear in conversation.
The first conversation is happening between a mother and son.
- Person 1: “I cannot believe you have got in trouble with the law.”
- Person 2: “I know, I really regret it.”
- Person 1: “You only regret it now because you’ve got to go in front of the kangaroo court who will not be fair or just.”
This next conversation is taking place between two friends.
- Person 1: “I really want to take my ex partner to court over the money she owes me.”
- Person 2: “Why don’t you do it then?”
- Person 1: “Because our local court is such a kangaroo court, I wouldn’t get a fair trial.”
Other Ways to Say “Kangaroo Court”
There are other ways you might express the meaning of the term ‘kangaroo court.’ Here are some examples of things you might say.
- Unfair court
- Sham trial
- Mock court
- Illegal court
- Dishonest court
What Is A Kangaroo Court? | Picture