Keep on Truckin’! There are many popular idioms that are used to express certain feelings or thoughts that we all use in every day communication. One of the most popular idioms used today is “keep on truckin’.” Here you will find the meaning of the idiom, how the idiom is used in real conversation and its origin story.
Keep on Truckin’
Keep on Truckin’ Meaning
“Keep on truckin’” means to keep moving forward and making attempts to be successful.
Origin of this idiomatic expression
No one is certain exactly when this idiom became widely known. The first time the phrase was heard was in the 1930s in jazz music. However, the phrase did not reach peak popularity until the 1970s. People speculate that this idiom became popular to describe the trucking industry. Cargo trucks are responsible for moving goods every day from place to place across miles and miles and they have no choice but to keep on moving.
Keep on Truckin’ Examples
In news stories, you may read a statement such as:
- “Because the show ended late due to being postponed, the band had no choice to keep on truckin’ to their next destination where they were due to play that evening.”
Another example statement could be from a pro sports player after a winning game such as:
- “The team won today, yes. But we still need to stay focused and keep on truckin’ in order to make it to the playoffs.”
Here is an example conversation between two co-workers:
- Co-Worker 1: I am worried the project will not be done on time.
- Co-Worker 2: I think we can make it. There is no need to worry.
- Co-Worker 1: Well, I am glad you’re not worried.
- Co-Worker 2: Not at all. I think as long as we keep on truckin’ the project will be complete with time to spare.
Here is another example conversation between a father and daughter:
- Daughter: There is no way I am every going to understand this math concept.
- Dad: Sure there is. Just study hard and practice.
- Daughter: I don’t even think that is going to help.
- Dad: Nonsense! Just keep on truckin’ and you will eventually understand it.
Other Ways to Say “Keep on Truckin'”
There are many other ways to express the meaning of this idiom. Some of these include: Just keep going, don’t give up, don’t give in and keep moving forward.
List of “Keep on Truckin'” synonyms:
- Carry forward
- Get on with it
- Hang in
- Keep on
- Keep the ball rolling
- Just keep going
- Don’t give up
- Never cease
- Don’t give in
- Move ahead
- Run on
- Keep moving forward
Keep on Truckin’ | Image
Last Updated on March 18, 2020