What does kek mean? Learn the definition, how and when to use this internet acronym with ESL infographic and useful conversation examples in English.
What Does Kek Mean?
The main meaning of “kek” is “lol,” or, “laugh out loud.”
This word is an interesting one. It’s used to show a comical reaction to something. That is to say that someone’s actions, words, or current situation caused the reader to “laugh out loud.”
Similar internet acronyms
Similar words to “kek” and “lol” are “lmao,” “roflmao,” “haha,” and “hehe.” “LMAO” means “laughing my ass off.” This means the person is laughing pretty hard. “ROFLMAO” means “rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.” This is a bit stronger as it shows the person is laughing so hard that they are physically unable to sit or stand. “Haha” and “hehe” don’t stand for anything and are rather the sounds people make in English when they laugh at something.
Although there aren’t many other meanings for “kek,” some say it can refer to the Turkish snack “topkek.” It’s a packaged, muffin-like sweet.
What’s the origin of ‘kek’?
The origin of this internet slang expression can be found in Blizzard’s famous massively multiplayer role-playing game World of Warcraft. This game is often referred to as “WoW.”
In this game, there are two factions. The players form each faction cannot communicate with each other. If one player’s character says “LOL” to the player of another faction, the other player reads it as “KEK.”
This comes from another Blizzard game, StarCraft. Many Korean players played this game. While an English player may say “haha” or “hehe” when they laugh, the sound in Korean is “keke.” “Kek” is said to have come from this sound.
This phrase is more likely to be used to someone who played World of Warcraft or someone familiar with games. It’s probably not as well known as “LOL” and will probably be used by younger people.
Here are some examples:
- WoW Player 1: Ok, so I’ve got my spells ready. Everybody attack once I draw aggro. Here we go!
- WoW Player 2: I’ll keep you healed.
- WoW Player 3: Hey, it’s already over!
- WoW Player 1: I thought that was going to be a lot harder, kek!
This example shows 3 players playing World of Warcraft. They are about to engage in battle with what looks to be a powerful enemy. Although they strategize, the battle is won quickly. WoW Player 1 was surprised by the swift victory and uses “kek” at the end of his sentence to show laughter because he is amused.
- Texter 1: What are you up to right now?
- Texter 2: The first week of school is coming up, I’m checking my schedule.
- Texter 1: Did you get all of the classes you wanted?
- Texter 2: Yeah, but the bowling class I wanted to take is only available on Friday morning. I’m screwed!
- Texter 1: KEK! That’s what you get for taking bowling?
- Texter 2: Kek? What does that even mean?
- Texter 1: It means lol, get with the times man!
Here we see two students talking about their daily lives. Texter 2 is getting ready to head back to school for a new semester. He’s taking a bowling class but the only time it’s available is on Friday morning. Texter 1 uses “kek” to show that he finds the situation funny. Texter 2 doesn’t understand the meaning so Texter 1 informs him about what it means.
Kek Meaning Infographic