What does Kibosh mean? Learn the definition, how and when to use the internet slang word with useful conversation examples and ESL printable infographic.
What Does Kibosh Mean?
Kibosh has several meanings, but the definite meaning is to stop or restrain something or someone. In this sense, Kibosh can also mean to put an end to a performance in a negative light. Namely doing something that does not impress the crowd.
Origin of Kibosh
This is an older word that has found different meanings in the 21st century.
The word Kibosh can be dated since the 1830s with the word being an outdated slang for either fashion or for nonsense. However, since the 19th century Kibosh has been used as a slang for something or someone being restrained. Further roots of Kibosh is the Hebrew word kabásh which means to restrain. Like many slang words in usage, once internet and text messaging became popular Kibosh found itself being used online.
Another meaning of Kibosh is a sex act involving two men and one woman, or three men, It’s related to the slang “spit roast”, but the two terms aren’t mutually exclusive. No other usage is recorded.
Text Between Coworkers
- Coworker 1: Hey, Jerry, you ready for the presentation today?
- Coworker 2: Hey, Jim. I am. Spent my weekend working on this report.
- Coworker 1: I have the PowerPoint presentation ready with all the data you sent.
- Coworker 2: Thanks! Let’s hope we can finish it before the Boss tries to kibosh the presentation.
Online Discussion Board
- User 1: So I heard the updates for the game got kiboshed.
- User 2: What? Why?
- User 3: Yeah. What happened?
- User 1: Apparently they ran out of funds. Heard they’re going to do a kickstarter soon.
- User 3: Well if they ran out of funds that quickly I don’t think I would trust them with KickStarter.
Other Ways to Say the Slang Word
Kibosh can be spelled with both a lowercase or capital K and if used in the past-tense a -ed is added to make “Kiboshed“. No other variants exist for this word.
Kibosh Meaning Infographic
Last Updated on June 28, 2023