In the kitchen, you will find various different appliances and in order to be able to refer to these you will need to be aware of their English names. This can be very useful when talking about the home and perhaps describing the things that can be seen in the kitchen but can also be good if you are staying in a house with an English-speaking person. You will be able to ask questions such as ‘Do you know how to work the oven?’ or ‘Could you show me how to turn on the dishwasher?’
After completing this section, you will be confident in being able to name all the kitchen appliances in English.
There are a lot of kitchen objects used in the kitchen, such as tea maker, toaster, kettle, mixer, cabinet , dinner table, pedal bin…
Kitchen Gadgets & Kitchen Appliances
- Tea maker
- Cooker hood (U.K) – range hood (U.S)
- Dish soap
- Kitchen counter
- Dinner table
- Kitchen scale
- Pedal bin
Kitchen Appliances Image
Kitchen Objects with Pictures and Examples
Learn these kitchen gadgets to increase your vocabulary about kitchen in English.
A tea maker is a device or appliance used for brewing tea. It can be an electric kettle with a built-in infuser or a specialized machine that automates the entire process of making tea.
- Example: My friend gifted me a new tea maker that can brew different types of tea with just a touch of a button.
A toaster is a small kitchen appliance used to toast bread or other similar food items. It typically has two or four slots, and the bread is inserted vertically into the slots, and then the toaster heats the bread until it is toasted.
- Example: I like my toast crispy, so I always set the timer on my toaster to the highest setting.
A kettle is a container used for boiling water or other liquids, typically made of metal or ceramic and with a handle and spout for pouring. It is commonly used for making tea, coffee, or other hot beverages.
- Example: I always start my day with a cup of hot tea, so I fill up my kettle with water and put it on the stove to boil.
A mixer is a kitchen appliance that is used to mix, beat, or whip ingredients together. It can be a handheld device or a stand mixer and is commonly used for baking and cooking.
- Example: I used my mixer to whip the cream for the cake frosting until it was light and fluffy.
A refrigerator is an appliance used for storing food and drinks at low temperatures to prevent them from spoiling. It works by removing heat from the interior and expelling it outside, maintaining a cool temperature.
- Example: I need to go to the grocery store to buy some vegetables and fruits to stock up my refrigerator.
A blender is a kitchen appliance used for blending, pureeing, or mixing ingredients together to make smoothies, sauces, soups, or other similar food items. It has a container with a rotating blade at the bottom and can be operated manually or electrically.
- Example: To make a healthy smoothie, I put some fresh fruits, yogurt, and ice cubes in my blender, and blend them until smooth.
A cabinet is a piece of furniture used for storage, typically with shelves, drawers, or compartments. It can be made of wood, metal, or plastic, and is commonly used in kitchens, bathrooms, or offices.
- Example: I keep all my books and files in the cabinet in my home office to keep the room organized and tidy.
A cupboard is a type of cabinet used for storing dishes, glasses, and other kitchenware. It typically has shelves and doors that can be opened and closed to access the contents inside.
- Example: I opened the cupboard to get a plate for dinner and realized that I need to organize it because everything was cluttered and hard to find.
Cooker hood (U.K) – range hood (U.S)
A cooker hood is an appliance installed above a stove or cooktop to remove smoke, steam, and odors from the air while cooking. It has a fan that draws the air through a filter and exhausts it outside or recirculates it back into the kitchen.
- Example: I always turn on the cooker hood when I cook something that produces a lot of smoke or steam, so my kitchen stays clean and odor-free.
A microwave is an electronic appliance that uses electromagnetic radiation to heat and cook food quickly. It works by producing high-frequency waves that cause the water molecules in food to vibrate and generate heat.
- Example: I put the leftover pizza in the microwave for a minute to warm it up before eating it for lunch.
Dish soap is a cleaning agent used for washing dishes, utensils, and other kitchenware. It is designed to remove grease, food residues, and other contaminants from the surface of the dishes.
- Example: I always use a few drops of dish soap and warm water to clean my dirty dishes after dinner.
A kitchen counter is a flat surface in a kitchen used for preparing food, cutting vegetables, and placing kitchenware. It is usually made of materials like granite, marble, or laminate and can be customized to fit the size and style of the kitchen.
- Example: I cleared the clutter from my kitchen counter to make space for the new appliances I bought for my kitchen.
A dinner table is a piece of furniture used for serving and eating meals. It is typically rectangular or round in shape and can be made of wood, glass, or other materials. It is usually accompanied by chairs or benches for seating.
- Example: We gathered around the dinner table to enjoy a delicious meal and catch up with each other’s lives.
A kitchen scale is a device used for measuring the weight of ingredients used in cooking and baking. It can be a mechanical or digital device and is typically used for precise measurements of ingredients like flour, sugar, and spices.
- Example: I used my kitchen scale to measure the exact amount of flour needed for the cake recipe to ensure that the cake turned out perfectly.
A pedal bin is a type of waste bin that can be opened by pressing a pedal with your foot. It is a hygienic and convenient way to dispose of waste without having to touch the bin with your hands.
- Example: I prefer using a pedal bin in my kitchen because it allows me to throw away food scraps and other waste easily while keeping my hands clean.
A grill is a cooking device used for grilling or barbecuing food, typically made of metal and powered by gas, electricity, or charcoal. It has a grilling surface where the food is placed and can be used to cook a variety of meat, vegetables, and other food items.
- Example: I love the taste of grilled chicken, so I fired up the grill in my backyard and cooked some chicken breasts for dinner.
A drawer is a sliding compartment used for storing items like clothing, utensils, or documents. It can be made of wood, plastic, or metal and is commonly found in furniture like dressers, desks, and cabinets.
- Example: I opened the drawer of my desk to look for a pen and found a bunch of old receipts and papers that I needed to throw away.
Kitchen Appliances | Video
Useful list of kitchenware in English with pictures.
- List of kitchen utensils in English.
- Kitchen appliances with pictures.
- List of glassware, cups and glasses in English.
- Formal table setting: list of tableware with pictures.
Last Updated on November 10, 2023