Have you ever heard the term ‘knight in shining armor’ during a conversation and wondered what it means? We are going to take a look at the meaning of this term and where it originally came from. We will also look into the ways in which this term can be used in a conversation.
Knight in Shining Armor
“Knight in Shining Armor” Meaning
When someone refers to someone as a ‘knight in shining armor’ they are saying that the person is a hero or has come to the rescue.
Origin of this idiom
The term ‘knight in shining armour’ originally came from fairytales which would depict a literal knight coming to the rescue of a damsel in distress, who they would usually end up marrying.
“Knight in Shining Armor” Examples
Examples in Statements
This is a statement made by a woman about her boyfriend.
- ‘I was facing a really bad time before I met Mark, he came along and made everything better, he was my knight in shining armor.’
Here is a statement made by a teacher to her students.
- ‘The end of the story shows that the man saved the woman, he became her knight in shining armor.’
If you are wondering how the term ‘knight in shining armour’ would fit into a conversation, here are some examples of how it would sound.
The first conversation is happening between a father and daughter.
- Person 1: “I am so pleased that you are getting married.”
- Person 2: “Me too, I wasn’t sure I would ever meet a man like him.”
- Person 1: “He certainly rescued you from yourself, didn’t he.”
- Person 2: “Yes, he is my knight in shining armor.”
Here is a conversation between a woman and a police officer.
- Person 1: “Can you tell me how you managed to escape the mugger?”
- Person 2: “There was a man who saw what was happening and he came over and tackled the mugger to the ground.”
- Person 1: “He sounds like a real knight in shining armor.”
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There are many other ways in which you can express the meaning of the term ‘knight in shining armour.’ Here are some examples of what you could say instead.
- White knight
- Knight errant
“Knight in Shining Armour” | Picture