What does Lame mean? In this lesson, you will learn the definition and how to use this internet slang term with ESL infographic and useful conversation examples in English.
What Does Lame Mean?
To be ‘lame’ is to be unoriginal, uncool, stupid, or even disliked. When someone uses the phrase ‘lame’ they are informing someone else that something doesn’t work, it can be an outfit to even someone’s personality.
Origin of Lame
The original meaning behind the word ‘lame’ is to be unable to walk normally due to the fact of an illness or injury. In the late 1980s, the word started being used to say something was uncool and has grown through generations and still commonly used today.
Ways you will find this internet slang word used.
- Guy: Hey babe how you doing?
- Girl: Um no, no way.
- Guy: What?
- Girl: You are totally lame.
Here you have a guy trying to pick a girl up someplace like a bar and she thinks he looks like a dork or loser and tells him he is ‘lame’ hoping he will leave her alone.
- Texter 1: Hey look at this pic.
- Texter 1: (Picture of a girl in a very neon-colored sundress.)
- Texter 2: Wow.
- Texter 1: Don’t you just love it.
- Texter 2: Sorry girl that thing is so lame.
Not only can you use ‘lame’ to talk about how uncool a person is, but it can also be used like here, where one friend just can’t lie and has to tell her buddy that sundress really sucks.
- pic – Picture
- Texter 1: Hey did you hear Alice is having a party tonight?
- Texter 2: Yeah she invited me.
- Texter 1: WHAT!?
- Texter 2: Yeah I see her every day at work, why? What’s up?
- Texter 1: She didn’t invite me and is ignoring my calls.
- Texter 2: How lame.
Here you will find ‘lame’ is used in a sort of way to say ‘not cool’. For instance, the one not getting an invite to a party and the host can’t even tell them why resulting in the ‘how lame’.
- Linux Administration Made Easy
- Less Ambitious Mml Editor
- Losers Always Make Excuses
- Aint an MP3 Encoder
- Local Area Music Ensemble
- Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Lame Meaning Infographic
Last Updated on March 20, 2020