Have you ever heard someone use the phrase ‘lie back and think of England’? If so, you may have wondered what they were referring to. Let’s take a look at what this phrase means and where it originally came from. We will also look at how the term can be used in a day to day conversation.
“Lie Back and Think of England”
“Lie Back and Think of England” Meaning
The term ‘lie back and think of England’ is the advice given to someone who is having or will have unwanted sexual intercourse.
Origin of this idiom
The phrase ‘lie back and think of England’ was originally used in Victorian times as advice given to young women by their mothers as to what to do when they were in the bedroom with their husbands. In those days, if a husband wanted intimate relations, the woman was to oblige regardless of whether she wanted to or not. Specifically the term refers to England and growing its population, the woman being advised may stand to become pregnant and so the act of intercourse should be bared by the woman for the sake of her country.
“Lie Back and Think of England” Examples
Examples in Statements
This is a statement being made by a history teacher.
- ‘The women were advised to lie back and think of England, because the men should be able to lay with them whenever they pleased.’
The next statement is being made by a husband to his wife.
- ‘I know you don’t want to have sex right now, but you could just lie back and think of England.’
You are likely to hear the term ‘lie back and think of England’ in many different types of conversation. Here are some examples to demonstrate how one of these conversations might sound.
The first conversation is taking place between two friends.
- Person 1: “I have really lost all interest in my husband, physically.”
- Person 2: “How are you managing to cope with that?”
- Person 1: “Well, I just lie back and think of England while he gets on with it.”
The next conversation is happening between a mother and daughter.
- Person 1: “I am so tired of trying to get pregnant now, my body is aching.”
- Person 2: “But you really want a baby, so perhaps you will just have to lie back and think of England.”
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There are other ways in which you can say the term ‘lie back and think of England.’
Here are some examples of things you can say in its place.
- Close your eyes and think of England
- Just think of England
“Lie Back and Think of England” | Picture
Last Updated on December 21, 2020