What Does “LOL” Mean?
LOL stands for “laugh out loud” or “laughing out loud”
The acronym “lol” is one of the most widely used on the internet. It stands for “laugh out loud” or “laughing out loud” and can convey a variety of feelings.
When used in text or internet messaging, it has the same meaning as “haha” or “hehe”. It shows a point in the conversation where someone would laugh so hard that everyone can hear it as opposed to a small chuckle to themselves.
When pronouncing this expression, some say the letters like “L – O – L”. Others say it like it’s the word “lol” pronounced similarly to “bowl”.
Related Terms to LOL
- LMBO: laughing my butt off.
- LML: laughing mad aloud.
- LMAO: Laughing my ass off.
- LMFAO (A more obscene form of LMAO).
- ROFL: Rolling on the floor laughing.
- ROGL: Rolling on the grass laughing.
- BWL: Bursting with laughter
- Kek: kekeke
Origin of LOL
The acronym “LOL” stands for “laughing out loud” or “laugh out loud.” It was first introduced in the 1980s as a convenient shorthand for expressing laughter in the early days of electronic communication. This popular internet slang term quickly gained traction among users, and by 1993 it already had an established presence in online messages.
LOL initially gained popularity in the context of Internet Relay Chat (IRC), and from there, its usage spread to other online communication platforms, such as email, forums, and instant messaging. As the internet evolved over time, the application of LOL expanded further, cementing its status as a universal mark of amusement among netizens.
Although the term started as an abbreviation, it has transcended its simple meaning to become a symbol of laughter and humor in digital interactions. Nowadays, it is common to see LOL not only in online conversations but also in informal spoken language and various English-language dictionaries. This demonstrates its widespread adoption and impact on both digital and in-person communication.
While years have passed since its inception, the concept behind LOL remains the same – to signify amusement or laughter in response to something funny. However, some argue that it has lost a bit of its original edge, as many people now use LOL in a more casual tone, without actually laughing out loud. Nonetheless, it continues to hold an important place in online discussions, serving as an essential tool for conveying emotions in text-based interactions.
Examples of LOL in Texting and Social Posts
LOL, one of the most widely used internet slang terms, stands for “laugh out loud” or “laughing out loud.” It is commonly used in texting and social media posts to express amusement or laughter in response to a joke or amusing situation. Typically, it may accompany or even replace emojis such as the face with tears of joy.
In text messages and online chats, LOL can be used as a standalone acronym, or embedded within a sentence, often with other internet acronyms like LMAO (laughing my a** off) and ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing).
Examples of LOL in texting:
- Person A: “Why did the chicken cross the road?”
- Person B: “I don’t know, why?”
- Person A: “To get to the other side! LOL!”
Variants of LOL, such as LEL and LOKTAL, have also emerged as playful alternatives. Though both mean the same as LOL, LEL represents a more playful misspelling of LOL, whereas LOKTAL stands for “laughing out loud, keeling over, then laughing again.”
Examples with other slang terms and acronyms:
- Person A: “I just spilled coffee on my keyboard. LOL!”
- Person B: “Oh no! LMAO, I did the same thing last week.”
Using LOL in a sentence can also act as a verb, such as “I lol’d at your joke” or an interjection, like “That was so funny, I literally lol’d.”
Capitalization and spelling while using LOL can differ based on context and preference. Some individuals might write it in all lowercase letters, as ‘lol,’ while others may use ‘LoL’ or ‘LOL.’ It is important to be aware of the context and audience when choosing the appropriate spelling.
Additionally, there are multiple meanings attributed to the acronym, which may vary depending on the context. For example, in a non-humorous setting, LOL could mean “little old lady” or “lots of laughter.” However, these alternate meanings are much less common when compared to the widely known LOL meaning of “laugh out loud.”
It is essential to recognize that internet slang, such as LOL, should stick to casual texting and social media contexts instead of formal written communication. While it has entered spoken language and may be used in verbal conversation, using LOL might not be suitable for professional or academic settings.
Conversation Examples with “LOL”
“Lol” can be used in almost any part of a sentence:
- Texter 1: Wow. My boss just tripped over his desk and fell down.
- Texter 2: LOL. I hope he’s ok! (In this case, the ALL CAPS indicates a bigger reaction).
- Texter 1: You want to catch dinner tonight?
- Texter 2: Sure, where do you want to go?
- Texter 1: I don’t know. You know I’m bad with decisions, lol (In this scenario, it comes at the end of the sentence as a kind of laugh).
There are also many more uses and the exact meaning can change based on the context of the situation or the words that come around it.
More about LOL Terminology
Other Ways to Say “LOL”
“Laughing Out Loud” Synonyms List
- I burst into laughter.
- I burst out laughing.
- LMBO (laughing my butt off).
- I couldn’t stop laughing.
- LML (laughing mad aloud).
- It cracks me up.
- LMAO (Laughing my ass off).
- LMFAO (A more obscene form of LMAO).
- It had me dying of laughter.
- ROFL (Rolling on the floor laughing).
- It made me laugh.
- It was amusing.
- It was comical.
- It was humorous.
- It was priceless.
- It was side-splitting.
- It’s funny how.
- It’s hilarious.
LOL Synonyms with Examples
I burst into laughter.
- As soon as I saw her, I burst into laughter.
I burst out laughing.
- I burst out laughing when I saw him.
I couldn’t stop laughing.
- The sounds tickled me and I could not stop laughing
It cracks me up.
- It cracks me up every time.
It made me laugh.
- It made me laugh out loud.
It was amusing.
- It was amusing to see her hold it before her eyes and spell the sentences out on her fingers, just as I had done.
It was comical.
- It was comical and sometimes endearing.
It was humorous.
- It was humorous to hear them blaming others for the many things that they had failed to do when in office.
It was priceless.
- You should have seen the look on her face when I told her – it was priceless!
It was side-splitting.
- It was side-splitting kind of humor, and we know she’ll make us laugh again today.
- It’s funny because of the confusion between these two phrases.
- This movie is so terrible it’s hilarious.
Other Meanings of “LOL”
Other meanings can include “lots of luck” or “look of love“. These were often used in handwritten letters exchanged between friends. Recently, others use it as an abbreviation for the popular online game “League of Legends“.
Some claim that the origin of this expression goes back to the 1980s where students in Canada exchanged information on a computer-based bulletin board. They wanted to express that they were sitting at their computer actually laughing.
Although it was originally used by college students, this expression has become very common among internet users. Just like the internet was primarily used by younger people to chat and communicate with others before being used by an older generation, “lol” has also grown up with its users.
- Love Of Lord
- Lots Of Love
- Loss Of Life
- Little Old Lady
- Looking On Line
- Lots Of Liquor
- Loser On Line
- Loads Of Laughs
- Life Of Loan
- Looking Over Liam
- Lame Old Loser
- Lots Of Lube
- Loser On Liquor
- Limit Of Liability
- Lord Of Lizards
- Loyal Orange Lodge
“LOL” Meaning Infographic
Last Updated on July 1, 2023