What Does LOL Mean?
LOL stands for “laugh out loud” or “laughing out loud”
The acronym “lol” is one of the most widely used on the internet. It stands for “laugh out loud” or “laughing out loud” and can convey a variety of feelings.
When used in text or internet messaging, it has the same meaning as “haha” or “hehe”. It shows a point in the conversation where someone would laugh so hard that everyone can hear it as opposed to a small chuckle to themselves.
When pronouncing this expression, some say the letters like “L – O – L”. Others say it like it’s the word “lol” pronounced similarly to “bowl”.
Other meanings can include “lots of luck” or “look of love“. These were often used in handwritten letters exchanged between friends. Recently, others use it as an abbreviation for the popular online game “League of Legends“.
Some claim that the origin of this expression goes back to the 1980s where students in Canada exchanged information on a computer-based bulletin board. They wanted to express that they were sitting at their computer actually laughing.
Although it was originally used by college students, this expression has become very common among internet users. Just like the internet was primarily used by younger people to chat and communicate with others before being used by an older generation, “lol” has also grown up with its users.
Other similar text abbreviations:
Conversation Examples with “LOL”
“Lol” can be used in almost any part of a sentence:
- Texter 1: Wow. My boss just tripped over his desk and fell down.
- Texter 2: LOL. I hope he’s ok! (In this case, the ALL CAPS indicates a bigger reaction).
- Texter 1: You want to catch dinner tonight?
- Texter 2: Sure, where do you want to go?
- Texter 1: I don’t know. You know I’m bad with decisions, lol (In this scenario, it comes at the end of the sentence as a kind of laugh).
There are also many more uses and the exact meaning can change based on the context of the situation or the words that come around it.
Other Meanings of LOL
- Love Of Lord
- Lots Of Love
- Loss Of Life
- Little Old Lady
- Looking On Line
- Lots Of Liquor
- Loser On Line
- Loads Of Laughs
- Life Of Loan
- Looking Over Liam
- Lame Old Loser
- Lots Of Lube
- Loser On Liquor
- Limit Of Liability
- Lord Of Lizards
- Loyal Orange Lodge
LOL Meaning Infographic
Other Ways to Say LOL
“Laughing Out Loud” Synonyms List
- I burst into laughter.
- I burst out laughing.
- LMBO (laughing my butt off).
- I couldn’t stop laughing.
- LML (laughing mad aloud).
- It cracks me up.
- LMAO (Laughing my ass off).
- LMFAO (A more obscene form of LMAO).
- It had me dying of laughter.
- ROFL (Rolling on the floor laughing).
- It made me laugh.
- It was amusing.
- It was comical.
- It was humorous.
- It was priceless.
- It was side-splitting.
- It’s funny how.
- It’s hilarious.
LOL Synonyms with Examples
I burst into laughter.
- As soon as I saw her, I burst into laughter.
I burst out laughing.
- I burst out laughing when I saw him.
I couldn’t stop laughing.
- The sounds tickled me and I could not stop laughing
It cracks me up.
- It cracks me up every time.
It made me laugh.
- It made me laugh out loud.
It was amusing.
- It was amusing to see her hold it before her eyes and spell the sentences out on her fingers, just as I had done.
It was comical.
- It was comical and sometimes endearing.
It was humorous.
- It was humorous to hear them blaming others for the many things that they had failed to do when in office.
It was priceless.
- You should have seen the look on her face when I told her – it was priceless!
It was side-splitting.
- It was side-splitting kind of humor, and we know she’ll make us laugh again today.
- It’s funny because of the confusion between these two phrases.
- This movie is so terrible it’s hilarious.
Other Useful Internet Slang Words
- TIL: Today I Learned
- HMB: Hit Be Back
- HRU: How Are You
- SYS: See You Soon
- TL;DR: Too Long; Didn’t Read
- TBA: To Be Announced
- TIA: Thanks in Advance
- IG: Instagram
- TYVM: Thank You Very Much
- TTYL: Talk To You Later
- TMI: Too Much Information