At last, the day has finally arrived when I get to go up against the long I words. Don’t worry, it’s nothing personal. The issue is that the category of long I words contains my favorite word in the English language but also some of my least favorite words. It is definitely a love and hate relationship that I have going on with long I words.
Worry not, I will be impartial as I teach you about this paradoxical selection of words. If you are curious as to what my favorite and least favorite words in the English language are then stay tuned to find out. I hope you like my words as much as I do.
Long I Words
What Are Long I Words?
Before we get any further into this subject, I have got to get you up to speed on just what exactly long I words are. Long I words are words that when pronounced make a long I sound. This could sound as if you are saying the letter I by itself. If you are confused then don’t worry because I have an example for you. Think about the word “silent”. Say it out loud and ponder its every syllable.
That sound it made at the very beginning? The Si sound right before we raise the lent. That is a long I sound that makes up a long I word. Simple and clean, I sure am glad we got that out of the way because now we can find sanctuary in the next section.
Ways to Spell Long I Words
There are not as many different ways of spelling a long I word as there are for long U words so let’s just jump right into it.
- I – The I by itself is strong enough to evoke the long I sound. The strong and independent vowel doesn’t need a consonant, just like the word “silent”.
- I_E – These racy consonants are always prevalent. This time, our improper consonant “friend’ has chosen to rest in between an I and E. The word “shine” will light our way.
- IE – IE is pie and it is not a lie. There are two long I words for you.
- IGH – Out of all the ways to spell long I words, this right here is my favorite. In fact, this bad boy can fit so many long I words, such as light.
- Y – Why the letter y makes a long I sound, I will never know but the word “my” is a great example of this phenomenon.
- Y_E – Perhaps the highest amount of times that the consonant has shown its disgraceful face in one list. I’ll give you your example word now so that we can leave. The word is “type”.
List of Long I Words
- Ice cream
Congratulations! You are ready to tackle the world with your long I words.
Long I Words | Image