Where would the world be without long u words? This is a question that I ask myself every night before I go to bed. Long u words comprise some of my favorite words to say in any language. For example, within the grouping known as the notorious long u words, we have “music” and “fruit”. I don’t know about you but I do not want to live in a world without long u words?
Can you imagine going a week without music or fruit? No thank you! Let’s go over the concept of long u words together in order to see what we have got on our hands.
Long U Words
What Are Long U Words?
What even are long u words? Long u words are a set of words that when pronounced, make an extended u sound. But before you run off with this newfound knowledge, allow me to explain that the long u sound can vary. That means that it is possible to have two words that make completely different sounds and yet have both be considered long u words.
If you want an example, we only need to find ourselves back at the beginning of this article. The words “music” and “fruit” are both long u words. But while we can obviously hear the “u” sound in music, fruit is a whole other story. Keep this in mind because we will be going over this in greater detail in the next section.
Ways to Spell Long U Words
The time has finally come. We will now be going over all of the patterns that make up a long u word’s spelling. Hang on because we have quite a bit to go over in this section.
- U – This is the easiest to understand. “Music” will once again be our example.
- U_E – The insatiable consonant is back. This time it wants to be sandwiched between a U and an E. Think “mule” for an example.
- UE – This pairing of UE does not like sharing. The word “rescue” is a great example of this combination in action.
- EU – Not short for the US vassal states but for the long U sound created in words like “feud”.
- EW – Not just used when seeing something that grosses you out but also for words like “chew”.
- OO – “Food” is the representative of this category. A great representative at that.
- OU – Not “oh, you” but OU, as in “soup”.
- UI – The infamous “fruit” makes its way back into the fold.
Learn more with long vowel words English.
List of Long U Words
u (yoo) long U words
OO (oo) long U words
We’ve reached the end! Armed with your newfound knowledge of long u words, the English language sure does seem a whole lot simpler. You would be right to believe this because English is neither complex nor sophisticated. Anyone can learn it!
Long U Words | Image