What does Lush mean? There are numerous slang terms used today that have become an acceptable part of informal communication. One of the slang terms you may hear or see often is the term “lush.” Throughout the remainder of this article, you will find the definition for this term in its slang form and other meanings, if any exist.
You will also see the term used properly in sample conversations. Finally, you will see other ways to say this term to convey the same meaning.
What Does Lush Mean?
The term “lush,” in its American slang form, is a descriptive term used to describe someone who drinks a great deal of alcohol or who is drunk seemingly all the time.
The slang term “lush” to describe someone as a drunk or someone who drinks a lot came from the slang term used to describe liquor of an unknown origin in 1890.
The British also use “lush” as a slang term to describe a nice looking female or an object that is desirable in general. The word “lush” has an actual definition also meaning extravagant or over-the-top.
A conversation between two friends at the local bar:
- Friend 1: I hate it when Debbie comes with us to the bar. I am glad it is just the two of us tonight.
- Friend 2: I know what you mean. She is such a lush and is always doing something embarrassing or getting us into trouble.
A conversation between two co-workers discussing another co-worker:
- Co-worker 1: I think Charles has a real problem. He always smells of alcohol, even at work.
- Co-worker 2: That could be dangerous if he is drinking at work.
- Co-worker 1: Yeah, I get the impression he is a real lush! I should probably inform the boss.
Alternatives to “Lush”
Some alternatives to the slang term “lush” that convey the same idea include:
- he/she drinks a lot
- he/she can’t control his/her liquor
Lush Meaning Infographic
Last Updated on March 18, 2020