The slang term “mukbang” is not a word that most people are familiar with. Odds are you would fall within this category since more than likely you arrived here after searching for the meaning of this term. You are in luck because here on this page you will not only find the meaning of this term, but you will also see details about its origin and some other meanings the word may have if there are any to be found.
Example conversations are provided for you here as well to assist you in gaining a firm grasp of the definition and help you to learn how to use the word correctly in context. Finally, you will see some synonymous words or phrases that come close to the same meaning as this term so you can learn words that can be used in its place.
What Does Mukbang Mean?
This slang term is used to define a practice of eating a meal online while live broadcasting yourself and interacting with the people who are watching you eat. Typically an array of all types of food are eaten during the live feed from sushi to pizza and all types in between.
Origin of Mukbang
This term originated in South Korea sometime in 2010. It is a portmanteau of two Korean words. The first is the word “meokneun” which means “eating” and the second word is “bangsong” which means “broadcast.” Since first hitting the internet, these types of videos have gone viral on sites that allow people to broadcast themselves live in real-time.
There are currently no other known meanings for this slang term.
A discussion via text message between two friends.
- Friend 1: Have you ever seen a mukbang video?
- Friend 2: A what?
- Friend 1: By that reaction, my guess is no. It is a live broadcast of someone eating a whole bunch of different types of food.
- Friend 2: Sounds weird. However, we are talking about the internet which is filled with all types of weird crap.
An online conversation between two Twitter users.
- User 1: Since there is nothing better for me to do today and I am bored, I believe I will go watch some mukbang.
- User 2: Is that some kind of porn I don’t know about?
- User 1: Eww! No! Get your mind out of the gutter! It’s a video that shows people eating stuff in real-time.
Synonyms for Mukbang
There are very few words or phrases that you can use in place of this term that means close to the same thing. Some other words or phrases you can use instead include:
- live eating online
- eating broadcast
- real-time meal consumption