Have you ever heard someone use the term ‘my cup runneth over’ during an English conversation? If you have, you’ll likely have questioned what this saying means. Let’s take a look at the meaning behind this term and how it can be used in a conversation. We are also going to look at where this saying first came from and a little bit about it’s history.
My Cup Runneth Over
My Cup Runneth Over Meaning
When someone uses the term ‘my cup runneth over’ they are saying that they have a plentiful supply of everything that they need.
Origin of this idiom
The idiomatic term ‘my cup runneth over’ can fist be seen in the Bible, in the book of Hebrews. The saying can also be found in the book of Psalms in the Psalm of David, The Lord is my shepherd.
“My Cup Runneth Over” Examples
Examples is Statements
This is a statement being made by a person during a prayer.
- ‘I am grateful that I want for nothing, my cup runneth over thanks to you.’
Here is a statement being made by a woman to her mother.
- ‘I never appreciated what you did for me growing up, but now I know that my cup truly runneth over.’
If you are curious to see how the term ‘my cup runneth over’ works in a conversation, here are some examples of how it might sound.
The first conversation is happening between two old friends.
- Person 1: “I heard that you won the lottery!”
- Person 2: “Yes, how amazing, I have never been so lucky.”
- Person 1: “I bet you have everything you wish for now.”
- Person 2: “Yes, my cup runneth over like it never has before.”
In this conversation, the phrase is being used by two co-workers.
- Person 1: “Do you need anything else in order to complete your project?”
- Person 2: “No, I have everything I need, my cup runneth over.“
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There are many other ways in which you can express the meaning of the term ‘my cup runneth over.’
Here are some examples of other things you could say which have the same meaning.
- Everything I desire
- Sufficient amounts
- Want for nothing
What Does “My Cup Runneth Over” Mean? | Picture