The idiomatic phrase “off the beaten path” may be a phrase that you encounter often in everyday informal conversation and writing. Here you will find the meaning of this phrase and find information regarding its origin. You will also find examples of how to properly use the phrase in conversations/examples and some alternative ways to say the phrase while still conveying the same meaning.
Off The Beaten Path
Off The Beaten Path Meaning
The idiomatic phrase “off the beaten path” means a location of something or someone that is not in a central or highly populated area.
Origin of the useful idiom
The phrase “off the beaten path” was first appeared in writing in the year 1860. It was used in the sense to mean a path that had been well-traveled. A similar phrase “beaten track” was recorded in 1638. However, this phrase had a very different meaning. “Beaten track” was used to mean to do something in a way that was not considered ordinary.
“Off The Beaten Path” Examples
A statement made by a police officer at a press conference.
- “We were alerted to a location that was off the beaten path where the subject in question was apprehended and taken into custody.”
A statement made in the local paper about a new restaurant.
- “The restaurant is quaint and is off the beaten path. However, it is well worth the trip!”
A conversation between a husband and a wife.
- Husband: I found the perfect place for us to go on vacation!
- Wife: Is it secluded so we can get away from everyone and everything for a while?
- Husband: It is so far off the beaten path that there is no one around for miles.
- Wife: Sounds perfect! When do we leave?
A conversation between two friends.
- Friend 1: Are you still up to go camping this weekend?
- Friend 2: Yes, but I can’t get off work still so I will still have to meet you there.
- Friend 1: No problem! Just remember the campground is a little off the beaten path. Don’t get scared if it looks like you are driving to the middle of nowhere.
Other Ways to Say “Off The Beaten Path”
The idiomatic phrase “off the beaten path” can be said in many alternative ways. Other ways that you can say the phrase include:
- In the middle of nowhere
- A secluded location
- An isolated spot
What does “Off The Beaten Path” Mean? | Picture