Have you ever heard someone use the term ‘once in a blue moon’ and wondered what they were referring to? We are going to take a look at the meaning of this saying and how it can be used in a conversation. We will also look into the history of this phrase and where it originally came from.
Once in A Blue Moon
“Once in A Blue Moon” Meaning
When someone uses the term ‘once in a blue moon’ they are saying that something only occurs very occasionally.
Origin of this idiom
In the 1500s the term ‘once in a blue moon’ actually had a different meaning, it referred to something as being strange or obscure. The meaning then evolved over time to the one that we use today.
“Once in A Blue Moon” Examples
Examples in Statements
This is a statement being made by a mother.
- ‘My grown up son is so busy these days that he only comes to see me once in a blue moon.’
Here is a statement which is being made by one friend to another.
- ‘I like these chocolates but I only eat them once in a blue moon.’
- It only happens like this once in a blue moon.
- Once in a blue moon you get some problems.
- That happens only once in a blue moon, when the weather is cold enough and thus the ice thick enough.
- You get a chance like this only once in a blue moon.
- I used to spend a lot of time in London, but now I only go there once in a blue moon.
If you are curious to see how the phrase ‘once in a blue moon’ can work in a conversation, here are some examples to demonstrate how it can be used.
The first conversation is taking place between two friends.
- Person 1: “Are we going to the cinema later?”
- Person 2: “Yes definitely. We don’t go often enough.”
- Person 1: “I agree, we only go once in a blue moon.”
This next conversation is one which is taking place between to people in the workplace.
- Person 1: “We have an audit coming up again.”
- Person 2: “Again? Have we ever even had one?”
- Person 1: “Perhaps not while you have been working here, they only happen once in a blue moon.”
Other Ways to Say “Once in A Blue Moon”
There are other ways in which you can express the meaning of the term ‘once in a blue moon.’
Here are some examples of things you can say which carry the same meaning.
- Almost never
- Few and far between
- Now and then
- On rare occasions
- Only occasionally
Once in A Blue Moon | Image