You may have heard someone using the term ‘open sesame’ in a conversation and wondered what the saying meant. We are going to look into the meaning of this phrase and how it can be used in a conversation. We will also look at a little of the history behind this term and where it originally came from.
Open Sesame Meaning
When someone uses the idiom ‘open sesame’ they are asking for something to literally open up. It is also often used to announce that something has opened.
Origin of this idiom
The term ‘open sesame’ first came from the fairytale of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. The phrase was a magical term used to open a cave full of treasure. Some say that it is a play on the words open says me.
“Open Sesame” Examples
Examples in Statements
This is a statement which is being made by a man at his front door.
- ‘The key is turning but it won’t open, turn the key and open sesame.’
Here is a statement being made by a child.
- ‘This is my jewelry box, open sesame and look at all the pretty things inside.’
- A university degree isn’t always an open sesame to a good job.
- He discovered that having wealth wasn’t an open sesame to gaining respect.
- He seems to think that wealth is the open sesame to happiness.
- A college education is no longer an open sesame to success.
If you are curious to understand how the term ‘open sesame’ is used in a conversation, here are some examples to demonstrate what it might sound like.
The first conversation is happening between two friends in the car.
- Person 1: “Can you get me my chewing gum please, it is in the glove compartment.”
- Person 2: “It won’t open.”
- Person 1: “It can be a bit stiff sometimes.”
- Person 1: “Open sesame.”
This next conversation is taking place between two people working in a shop.
- Person 1: “The cash register won’t open.”
- Person 2: “Just give it a good bang and open sesame.”
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There are other ways in which you can express the meaning behind the term ‘open sesame.’
Here are some examples of other things you might say.
- Open says me
- Open up
What Does “Open Sesame” Mean? | Image