Are you looking for different ways to express the idea of opportunity in English? Whether you are a writer, student, or simply someone who wants to expand their vocabulary, knowing synonyms for opportunity can be useful. In this article, we will explore various synonyms for opportunity and how to use them in different contexts.
Opportunity refers to a chance or favorable circumstances that allow you to achieve something or make progress towards a goal.
- I see this job as a great opportunity to grow and develop my skills.
- He seized the opportunity to showcase his artwork at the local gallery.
- The scholarship provided her with the opportunity to pursue higher education.
- We must take advantage of every opportunity that comes our way.
List of Synonyms For Opportunity
- A second bite of the cherry (idiom)
- Appropriate occasion
- Appropriate time
- Favorable time
- Free ride (idiom)
- Golden opportunity
- Good chance
- Good fortune
- Good time
- Lucky break
- Lucky chance
- Opportune moment
- Opportune time
- Suitable time
- Window of opportunity
Types of Synonyms For Opportunity
Common Synonyms For Opportunity
Opportunity vs. Chance
While chance refers to an unexpected or random event, opportunity refers to a favorable or advantageous situation. Some synonyms for chance include accident, coincidence, and fluke. On the other hand, some synonyms for opportunity include opening, possibility, and option.
- Winning the scholarship was a great opportunity for me to pursue my dream of studying abroad.
- Meeting the CEO by chance at the conference gave me the chance to pitch my business idea.
Opportunity vs. Springboard
A springboard is a platform that helps you jump higher. Similarly, an opportunity can be a springboard for your success. Some synonyms for springboard include launchpad, stepping stone, and catalyst.
- The new project presented an excellent opportunity for professional growth and skill development.
- The networking event served as a springboard for her career by connecting her with influential professionals in the industry.
Opportunity vs. Break
An opportunity is something that you can actively seek out and work towards, while a break is something that happens by chance. Another difference is that an opportunity is usually more long-term, while a break is often a short-term stroke of luck.
- She saw the job opening as a great opportunity to pursue her passion for marketing.
- Getting the chance to present her ideas to the company’s CEO was a big break in her career.
Synonyms For Opportunity In Different Contexts
Business and Entrepreneurship
- Business proposal: The company submitted a comprehensive business proposal outlining their plan to launch a new product line in the market.
- Business Proposition: The entrepreneur presented a compelling business proposition to potential investors, highlighting the innovative nature of the proposed venture.
- Job Opportunity: The new tech firm is offering an exciting job opportunity for software developers with experience in artificial intelligence.
- Entrepreneurial Opportunity: The innovative app concept presented an entrepreneurial opportunity for the aspiring tech entrepreneur to create a unique product for the market.
- Economic Opportunity: The government’s investment in infrastructure created economic opportunities for local businesses and job seekers in the region.
- Commercial Privilege: The company’s strategic partnership provided them with a commercial privilege, allowing exclusive access to a key market segment.
In a Social Context
- Chance: I saw this as my chance to make a positive impact on the community.
- Occasion: The charity event provided an occasion for people to come together and support a worthy cause.
- Opening: The new community center created an opening for residents to engage in various social activities.
- Prospect: The neighborhood improvement project offers a prospect for residents to participate in shaping the community’s future.
- Possibility: There is a possibility for us to volunteer and contribute to social causes in our area.
Absolute and Near Synonyms for Opportunity
Absolute Synonyms for Opportunity
|A possibility of something happening
|A chance that something may happen or be true
|A particular time when something happens
|A period of time during which an opportunity exists
|A chance to do something
|A particular moment or occasion when something happens
Near Synonyms for Opportunity
|A chance to do something or an opportunity to achieve something.
|An opportunity to do something or to achieve something.
|An opportunity to do something or to achieve something.
|A particular time when an opportunity exists or when something important happens.
|A period of time during which an opportunity exists or when something important happens.
Opportunity Synonyms – Image
Frequently Asked Questions
What are alternative terms to use for ‘opportunity’ in a job context?
In a job context, you can use terms such as chance, opening, prospect, or possibility instead of the word opportunity. These synonyms can help you avoid repetition in your resume or cover letter when describing your work experience.
What is a professional synonym for ‘opportunity’ suitable for a business environment?
In a business environment, a professional synonym for opportunity can be an occasion, a window, a moment, or a break. These terms convey the idea of a favorable circumstance that can be seized for business purposes.
What expressions convey the concept of ‘giving opportunity’?
Expressions that convey the concept of giving opportunity are offering a chance, providing an opening, granting a possibility, or presenting a prospect. These terms convey the idea of creating opportunities for others to succeed and grow.
Last Updated on December 4, 2023