Since the rise in the popularity of internet and text messaging, slang and acronyms have become widely used. “OTOH” is an internet and text acronym widely used today in online and text conversations. Here you will find the meaning of this acronym and the information available on its origin. You will also find other meanings if they exist, examples of how to properly use the term in everyday internet and text conversation and some suggestions on how to convey the same message but using different alternatives.
What Does OTOH Mean?
The slang internet and text acronym “OTOH” means a shorthand abbreviation for the phrase on the other hand. It is typically used when a person is listing the pros and cons of a situation. The term is typically used in its capitalized form (OTOH), but using the lowercase form is acceptable as well and still maintains the same meaning.
Origin of OTOH
There is little known about the origin of this acronym, other than to say it became popular and widely used in the 90s as an acronym for on the other hand in all forms of electronic communication.
There are some different meaning of this acronym, depending on the source. One other official meaning of “otoh” is said to be on the one hand. The Urban dictionary also has the meanings “on top of her” and “overthrowing the orange Hitler” (aka impeaching the current US President). However, these are not officially recognized translations of the acronym.
Examples in Conversations
A text exchange between two friends.
- Friend 1: Charlie wants another dog for his birthday.
- Friend 2: What do you think about that.
- Friend 1: I told him we already had a dog, but he said he still wants a puppy.
- Friend 2: Is your house big enough for another dog?
- Friend 1: No, honestly not really. Especially when we have to make room for a new baby also.
- Friend 2: I know you want to make him happy and I can tell you are giving it some real thought. OTOH though, have you considered maybe a kitten instead?
An internet chat exchange between a couple planning a date.
- Girl: I heard that the new restaurant has some great food and the prices can’t be beaten.
- Girl: OTOH, Carter’s Diner is my favorite!
- Boy: I love Carter’s too! My family used to go there every Sunday for dinner and I just love their food.
- Girl: Then let’s go there Friday night for dinner.
- Boy: Sounds like a plan!
Other Ways to Say “OTOH”
There are several alternative ways you can say “OTOH” without using the abbreviated acronym. Some other ways you could state this phrase and convey the same meaning include:
- Spell the whole thing out “on the other hand”
- An alternative you should consider
- Let’s look at the pros and cons
“OTOH” synonyms list
- All the same
- At any rate
- Having said that
- In any case
- In contrast
- In spite of
- On the contrary
- On the flip side
- That being said
- That having been said
- That said
- Then again
OTOH Meaning Infographic
Last Updated on March 20, 2020