Are you someone who loves to spend time outdoors and take part in outdoor activities? If you are, then you might like to be able to talk about these hobbies in English. That is where this vocabulary will come in very handy.
It is also going to prove useful when listening to other people talking about certain outdoor activities that they enjoy as well as being great for when you are on an excursion in an English speaking country and there are a selection of outdoor activities on offer.
Outdoor activities (outdoor recreation) refer to leisure pursuits engaged in the outdoors, often in natural or semi-natural settings out of town. Examples of outdoor activities include adventure racing, backpacking, cycling, camping, canoeing, disc golf, fishing, hiking, sailing, skiing, surfing, and different types of sports.
List of Outdoor Activities
- Jungle gym
- Spring horse
- Monkey bars
- Outdoor movies
- Kite flying
- Rock climbing
- Water park
- Bungee jumping
- Hot air balloon rides
- Street hockey
- Water balloon fight
- Water skiing
Outdoor Activity Names with Pictures and Examples
Learn these outdoor activity names to improve your English.
Swinging is an activity or movement in which a person moves back and forth or to and fro, often suspended from above.
- Example: She loved to swing on the hammock in her backyard and read a book on lazy afternoons.
Seesaw is playground equipment consisting of a long plank balanced on a fulcrum, with seats at each end, on which children sit and move up and down by pushing off the ground.
- Example: The children were having fun playing on the seesaw in the park, taking turns going up and down.
Sliding is playground equipment consisting of a smooth, sloping surface that children can slide down for fun.
- Example: The kids were having a blast going down the slide at the water park, splashing into the pool at the bottom.
A tunnel is an underground passage that is typically used for transportation or to provide access to something.
- Example: The train passed through the dark tunnel before emerging into the sunlight on the other side.
A jungle gym is a type of outdoor play equipment that typically includes climbing structures, swings, and other features.
- Example: The children raced to the jungle gym to see who could climb to the top first.
A sandbox is a container filled with sand that is often used as a play area for children.
- Example: The kids spent hours building sandcastles and digging in the sandbox at the park.
A spring horse is a type of toy that is designed to look like a horse and is mounted on springs so that children can ride it by bouncing up and down.
- Example: The little girl giggled as she bounced up and down on the spring horse in the backyard.
Monkey bars are a type of play equipment typically found on playgrounds that consist of a series of horizontal bars at varying heights that children can swing and climb on.
- Example: The children challenged each other to see who could make it across the monkey bars the fastest.
A merry-go-round is a type of playground equipment that consists of a rotating platform with seats or handles for children to hold onto while they spin around.
- Example: The kids laughed and screamed as they spun around on the merry-go-round at the park.
Outdoor movies are films that are shown outside, typically on a large screen in a park or other public space.
- Example: The community gathered on the lawn to watch a classic movie on the big screen at the outdoor movie event.
Sports are physical activities that involve competition and skill, often played as a team or individually.
- Example: My favorite sport to play is basketball because it requires both athleticism and strategy.
Yoga is a physical, mental, and spiritual practice that originated in ancient India and involves various postures, breathing techniques, and meditation.
- Example: I like to do yoga in the morning to help me start my day feeling calm and centered.
Kite flying is a recreational activity that involves launching and maneuvering a kite in the air using a string.
- Example: The family spent the afternoon at the park, enjoying a picnic and some kite flying in the sunny weather.
Camping is an outdoor activity that involves setting up a temporary shelter, such as a tent, and spending time in nature.
- Example: We went camping in the mountains last weekend and enjoyed hiking, fishing, and roasting marshmallows over the campfire.
Photography is the art or practice of taking and processing photographs, often for artistic or commercial purposes.
- Example: She enjoys photography as a hobby and loves to capture beautiful landscapes and candid moments with her camera.
A picnic is a meal or social gathering that takes place outdoors, often in a park or other scenic location.
- Example: We packed sandwiches, fruit, and drinks for a lovely picnic in the park with our friends.
Gardening is the practice of growing and cultivating plants, often for food, aesthetics, or environmental purposes.
- Example: She spends her weekends gardening in her backyard, tending to her vegetable garden and flower beds.
Rock climbing is a sport or activity that involves ascending steep rock faces or cliffs using specialized equipment and techniques.
- Example: He trained for months to prepare for the challenging rock climbing expedition in the Himalayas.
A water park is a recreational facility that features various water-based attractions, such as pools, slides, and water playgrounds.
- Example: The kids had a blast splashing around in the wave pool and racing down the water slides at the water park.
Swimming is the act of moving through water using the arms, legs, and body, often for exercise or recreation.
- Example: She loves to go swimming in the lake during the summer to cool off and enjoy the outdoors.
Bungee jumping is an extreme sport that involves jumping from a high platform or structure while attached to a long elastic cord.
- Example: He was nervous but excited to try bungee jumping for the first time during his adventure trip.
Hot air balloon rides
Hot air balloon rides are a recreational activity that involve riding in a large, colorful balloon that is lifted into the air by heated air.
- Example: The couple enjoyed a romantic evening together on their scenic hot air balloon ride over the countryside.
Cycling is the act of riding a bicycle, often for exercise, transportation, or recreation.
- Example: He commutes to work by cycling every day, enjoying the fresh air and exercise along the way.
Street hockey is a sport that is played on a hard surface, such as a street or parking lot, using hockey sticks and a ball instead of ice skates and a puck.
- Example: The kids spent their afternoon playing street hockey with their friends, laughing and shouting as they tried to score goals.
Running is a form of exercise or physical activity that involves moving quickly on foot, often for fitness or competition.
- Example: She goes running every morning before work, enjoying the fresh air and the energizing boost it gives her for the day ahead.
Walking is a simple form of exercise or physical activity that involves moving at a moderate pace on foot, often for health or leisure.
- Example: The family took a leisurely walking tour of the city, enjoying the sights and sounds of the bustling streets.
Water balloon fight
A water balloon fight is a fun outdoor activity that involves filling balloons with water and throwing them at each other for entertainment.
- Example: The kids had a blast on a hot summer day, engaging in a friendly water balloon fight in the backyard.
Fishing is the activity of catching fish, typically using a rod, reel, and bait.
- Example: He enjoys spending his weekends fishing at the lake, relaxing and enjoying the peaceful surroundings.
Surfing is a water sport that involves riding waves on a surfboard while standing or lying down.
- Example: The beach was crowded with surfers, each waiting for the perfect wave to catch and ride while surfing.
Canoeing is a water activity that involves paddling a long, narrow boat with a single-bladed paddle.
- Example: The family spent a peaceful afternoon canoeing on the river, enjoying the scenic views and wildlife along the way.
Water skiing is a water sport that involves being pulled behind a motorboat while standing on skis and holding onto a tow rope.
- Example: He felt the rush of adrenaline as he glided across the water, expertly maneuvering his skis while water skiing behind the boat.
Skiing is a winter sport that involves sliding down snow-covered slopes on skis.
- Example: She loves to go skiing in the mountains during the winter, feeling the cold wind in her face as she carves down the slopes.
Outdoor Activities Video for Kids
Learn outdoor vocabulary words with American English pronunciation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some common outdoor activities for students?
Students often enjoy a wide variety of outdoor activities such as hiking, cycling, camping, and sports like soccer or basketball. These activities not only provide a physical challenge but also allow them to socialize, develop teamwork skills, and enjoy nature.
Which outdoor activities are suitable for adults?
Outdoor activities suitable for adults include yoga, rock climbing, surfing, sailing, and golfing. Additionally, walking and running are popular activities that can be easily incorporated into daily life. Many adults also enjoy joining recreational sports leagues or participating in activities like outdoor fitness classes to stay fit, socialize, and have fun.
Can you provide examples of outdoor activities for preschoolers?
Preschoolers can engage in various outdoor activities such as playing on a swing, seesaw, or sandbox. Other options include participating in games such as duck-duck-goose, tag, or hide-and-seek. Incorporating simple and age-appropriate outdoor activities can help young children develop their motor skills.
What are the benefits of participating in outdoor activities?
Participating in outdoor activities offers several benefits such as improved physical health, mental well-being, and social connections. Outdoor activities help strengthen muscles, increase cardiovascular endurance, and enhance flexibility. They also reduce stress, boost mood, and promote relaxation. Plus, engaging in group activities fosters a sense of community and teamwork.
What are some ideas for outdoor recreational activities?
Ideas for outdoor recreational activities range from adventure racing, backpacking, and canoeing to fishing, hiking, and skiing. Other options include sports such as tennis, disc golf, and mountain biking. The possibilities are endless, and the best choice will depend on individual preferences and local opportunities.
Can you explain recreation vocabulary related to outdoor activities?
Recreation vocabulary related to outdoor activities includes terms describing equipment and actions specific to each activity. For example, “backpack” and “tent” are essential camping items, while “paddle” and “kayak” apply to water sports. Familiarizing yourself with the vocabulary associated with your chosen activity can enhance your experience and help you communicate effectively with others who share your interests.
Outdoor Activities Vocabulary Practice
Drag and Drop
- Rapport Meaning: What Does the Term “Rapport” Mean? - November 28, 2023
- Solidarity Meaning: What’s the Definition of the Term “Solidarity”? - November 28, 2023
- Compassion Meaning: What Does “Compassion” Mean? - November 28, 2023