The slang term “pal” is used a lot in regular conversations both online and offline. It is used nearly as much as the original terms that it is used in place of. If you were unable to determine the meaning of this word when you heard or seen it being used and have come here to be enlightened, then you are in luck.
Here you will find the meaning of the term, details about its origin, and some other meanings if there are any that exist. You will also find some conversation examples that you can read through to help you better understand the term’s definition. Finally, you will see some different words that can be used interchangeably with this slang term that carry the same meaning.
What Does Pal Mean?
This slang term pal is most often used as just another word for a friend or a good buddy.
Origin of Pal
This slang term has been used since the 17th-century and was derived from the Sanskrit word “bhrtr” which means “brother.” Romany were the first to transcribe the slang term mentioned above directly from the Sanskrit word and its meaning and added to the meaning to include a friend. It then began to be used in English.
There are currently no other known meanings for this slang term.
A discussion between two friends via text message.
- Friend 1: I want to say thank you.
- Friend 2: Thank you for what?
- Friend 1: For being my best pal. You are always there for me when I need someone and I truly appreciate that.
- Friend 2: Well, you are most welcome! You are a great pal too!
An online conversation between two Twitter users.
- User 1: I need some advice.
- User 2: I will try to help. What’s up?
- User 1: A pal of mine is having trouble with his girlfriend and asked me for advice, but I don’t know what to tell him.
- User 2: What is she doing?
- User 1: She is cheating on him. He says he has proof.
- User 2: Then my advice would by that your pal needs to leave his girl.
Synonyms for Pal
There are several other words that you can use in place of this slang term that mean the same thing. Some other words that you can use include: