You may need to be able to refer to the parts of an aircraft for a variety of reasons. The most obvious one is when talking about travel, this could include talking about times you have been on an aircraft or their use within the travel industry. Another reason you may need to know these words is if you work within the aircraft industry and are working alongside English speaking colleagues.
In this section, you will be able to look over the names for the parts of an aircraft, in English which will greatly expand your vocabulary.
An aircraft is a machine that is able to fly by gaining support from the air.
Parts of an Airplane
- Flight deck
- Jet engine
Exterior Aircraft Parts Image
Airplane Parts with Examples
Learn these Airplane parts to enlarge your transportation vocabulary words in English.
The nose of an aircraft is the forward-most part of the fuselage, which houses the cockpit and serves as the pilot’s workspace.
- Example: The pilot carefully maneuvered the aircraft’s nose towards the runway for landing.
The flight deck of an aircraft is the area where the pilot and co-pilot sit and control the plane’s systems, including the engines, navigation, and communication equipment.
- Example: The flight deck of the Boeing 737 is equipped with state-of-the-art technology to ensure safe and efficient flights.
The fuselage of an aircraft is the main body of the plane that holds the passengers, cargo, and other essential components, such as the wings, tail, and engines.
- Example: The Boeing 747’s fuselage is made of lightweight materials such as aluminum and composite materials to reduce weight and increase fuel efficiency.
The cabin of an aircraft is the interior space where passengers sit during a flight. It includes the seats, overhead compartments, and other amenities such as lavatories, lighting, and air conditioning.
- Example: The flight attendant walked through the cabin, offering drinks and snacks to the passengers.
The fin of an aircraft, also known as the vertical stabilizer, is a vertical surface located at the tail of the plane that helps stabilize the aircraft during flight. It also houses the rudder, which is used to control the plane’s yaw or side-to-side movement.
- Example: As the plane approached the runway, the pilot used the fin and rudder to make small adjustments to the plane’s course.
The tail of an aircraft is the rear section of the plane that includes the vertical fin, horizontal stabilizers, and control surfaces such as the rudder and elevators. It helps stabilize the plane during flight and allows the pilot to control the pitch and yaw of the aircraft.
- Example: The tail of the airplane was painted with the airline’s logo, making it easily recognizable from a distance.
The tailplane of an aircraft, also known as the horizontal stabilizer, is a horizontal surface located at the tail of the plane that helps stabilize the aircraft during flight. It also houses the elevators, which are used to control the plane’s pitch or up-and-down movement.
- Example: The pilot adjusted the tailplane to maintain a level flight as the plane encountered turbulence.
The hold of an aircraft is the cargo compartment located in the belly of the plane, where baggage, freight, and other cargo are stored during the flight.
- Example: The ground crew loaded the suitcases and boxes into the hold of the plane before takeoff.
The wing of an aircraft is the horizontal structure attached to the fuselage that generates lift and allows the plane to stay aloft. It is typically composed of an airfoil shape and may have flaps and other control surfaces to help the pilot control the plane’s speed and altitude.
- Example: The Boeing 787 Dreamliner’s wings are made of carbon fiber composites, making them lighter and more fuel-efficient than traditional aluminum wings.
A jet engine is a type of aircraft engine that works by sucking in air, compressing it, mixing it with fuel, and igniting it to create a high-speed exhaust that propels the plane forward. Jet engines are commonly used in commercial and military aircraft.
- Example: The Airbus A380’s four jet engines provide enough thrust to lift the 600-ton aircraft off the ground and carry it across the world.
The undercarriage of an aircraft, also known as the landing gear, is the system of wheels, struts, and other components that support the plane during takeoff and landing. It may also include retractable components that fold up into the aircraft during flight.
- Example: The pilot lowered the undercarriage of the plane as it approached the runway, preparing for a smooth landing.
Aircraft Parts | Video
List of transportation and vehicles vocabulary words in English with different categories.
- Types of vehicles in English with pictures.
- Bicycle parts vocabulary words illustrated with images.
- Car parts vocabulary words with picture.
- Types of ships and boats: ship names and boat names in English.
- Types of trucks in English.
- Aircraft parts in English with pictures.
- Motorcycle parts in English.
- Road signs names in the UK with pictures.
- Rapport Meaning: What Does the Term “Rapport” Mean? - November 28, 2023
- Solidarity Meaning: What’s the Definition of the Term “Solidarity”? - November 28, 2023
- Compassion Meaning: What Does “Compassion” Mean? - November 28, 2023