If you are paying a visit to the dentist whilst in and English speaking country, you will probably benefit from being able to talk about the different parts of the mouth. Knowing these words can also be of use in general conversation or for when you are listening to or reading English.
In this section, you will be able to learn and memorize the different parts of the mouth with their English names and further expand your vocabulary.
Parts of the Mouth
Learn these parts of mouth names to enlarge your vocabulary about parts of the body in English.
In human anatomy, the mouth is the first portion of the alimentary canal that receives food and produces saliva. The mouth also plays a significant role in communication.
Also, learn other human body parts names in English.
Mouth Parts Names
- Hard palate
- Soft palate
- Gingiva (Gums)
Parts of Mouth Names with Pictures and Examples
– I need to brush my canine teeth more often to prevent cavities and gum disease.
– The hot soup burned the roof of my mouth, specifically the hard palate.
– She applied some lip balm to her dry and chapped lips.
– The soft palate helps to close off the nasal passages when swallowing to prevent food and liquid from entering the nose.
– When the doctor examined the back of my throat, she noticed that my uvula was swollen.
– I burned my tongue on the hot coffee and now it hurts to eat or drink anything.
– The dentist advised me to floss and brush my teeth regularly to prevent gum disease and keep my gingiva healthy.
– She accidentally chipped her incisor while biting into a hard piece of candy.
– I need to schedule a dental appointment to get my teeth cleaned and checked for any cavities or other issues.
– The mandible, or lower jawbone, is responsible for the movement of the lower teeth and plays an important role in chewing and speaking.
– The tiny bumps on my tongue, called papillae, help me taste different flavors and textures of food.
– My dentist recommended that I get a filling for my premolar tooth to prevent further decay and damage.
Mouth Parts Names with Picture
Parts Of The Body in English
Learn different parts of the body with pictures.
- Types of hairstyles in English.
- Human body parts names with pictures.
- Parts of the hand in English.
- Different parts of the face with pictures.
- Parts of the mouth in English.
Learn different body parts video lessons with American English pronunciation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the main components of mouth anatomy?
In your mouth, there are several important components that contribute to its overall function. These include lips, which are the soft edges at the opening of the mouth; teeth, which are responsible for cutting, tearing and grinding food; the tongue, which helps with swallowing, speaking, and tasting; and the salivary glands, which produce saliva to break down food and keep your mouth moist.
What is the function of the uvula?
The uvula, also known as the palatine uvula, is a small, conic-shaped projection located at the back edge of the soft palate. Its primary function is to help prevent food and liquids from entering your nasal cavity during swallowing. It also contributes to the production of certain speech sounds and may play a role in triggering the gag reflex.
What are the different areas of the tongue?
Your tongue is divided into several distinct areas, each with its unique functions. The tip, or apex, is highly flexible and sensitive, which makes it crucial for speech and sensing the taste of food. The blade is the flat portion, located near the tip, which also helps with sensing taste. The body of the tongue is the main, muscular part responsible for movement. Finally, the base is the posterior section of the tongue that connects to the floor of the mouth and throat.
What is the roof of the mouth called?
The roof of your mouth is known as the palate. It is divided into two parts: the hard palate, which is the bony front part that separates the oral cavity from the nasal cavity; and the soft palate, a muscular, flexible region located at the back of the hard palate, which helps to close off the nasal passages during swallowing and speech.
What is the name of the part under the tongue?
The part under your tongue is called the floor of the mouth. It consists of several structures, such as the frenulum, which is a fold of tissue that connects the tongue to the floor of the mouth, and the sublingual salivary glands, responsible for producing saliva to lubricate the mouth and aid in digestion.
What are the facial features related to the mouth?
The facial features related to your mouth include the philtrum, which is the vertical groove between your nose and upper lip; the vermilion border, which is the distinct edge between your lips’ colored and non-colored skin; the oral commissure, where the upper and lower lips meet at the corners of the mouth; and the nasolabial folds, which are the lines that run from the corners of the nose to the corners of the mouth. These features all contribute to the appearance and function of the mouth area.
Parts of the Mouth Vocabulary PracticeListening Practice
Drag and Drop
Last Updated on November 8, 2023
- Clam vs. Oyster: Difference between Oyster and Clam - December 25, 2023
- Leniency Meaning: What Does “Leniency” Mean? - December 15, 2023
- Rapport Meaning: What Does the Term “Rapport” Mean? - November 28, 2023