House Phrases! Learn useful phrasal verbs around the house in English with meaning, example sentences and ESL picture to improve your English.
Learn more with list of house and home idioms in English.
List of Phrasal Verbs Around the House
- Take out of the trash
- Throw away
- Pick up
- Hang up
- Put away
- Clean up/ tidy up
- Mop up
- Build on
- Turn on
- Put up
- Turn off
- Take down
- Stock up
- Put on
- Put on (music)
- Put on
- Put out
House Phrasal Verbs with Meaning and Examples
Take out of the trash
- Meaning: Remove trash from the house
- Example: I’ll take out the trash daily.
- Meaning: Put something into the trash can/to discard
- Example: He wanted to throw away the cup, but he couldn’t find a trash can.
- Meaning: Remove something from the floor to put into their proper place
- Example: When you pick up the bag, make sure to support the bottom.
- Meaning: Put your clothes on a hanger to hang in the closet
- Example: We hang our clothes up in the closet.
- Meaning: Put items into their proper place (a drawer, cabinet, etc…)
- Example: Please put away your clothes.
Clean up/ tidy up
- Meaning: Remove the dirt, stains & unwanted material
- Example: We spent all Saturday morning cleaning up.
- Meaning: Use a mop (towel or sponge) to remove liquid from the floor.
- Example: I am the one who has to mop up after the mess you made!
- Meaning: Construct an additional part of to the house, to add more space/rooms/etc…
- Example: We’re planning to build on a conservatory.
- Meaning: Give (lamp/TV) power, to start
- Example: Do you want me to turn the lamp on?
- Meaning: Attach (a picture, or other object) to the wall to hang
- Example: I will put up this picture to the wall.
- Meaning: Cause the power of (lamp/tv) to stop
- Example: It’s too noisy. Turn off the TV please!!
- Meaning: Remove (a picture or object) from the wall
- Example: She made us take down all the pictures.
- Meaning: Buy a lot of something (food, drink, etc) to fill the refrigerator or pantry.
- Example: We need to stock up the freezer.
- Meaning: Get dressed
- Example: Hurry up! Put your coat on!
Put on (music)
- Meaning: Turn on the radio or some music
- Example: Do you mind if I put some music on?
- Meaning: Put (the pot/kettle/etc…) on the stove
- Example: I’ll put the kettle on for tea.
- Meaning: Extinguish/ to make a fire stop working
- Example: Little fires are put out before they can do their work.
House Phrases: Useful Phrasal Verbs Around the House | Images
Useful Phrasal Verbs Around the House | Image 1
Useful Phrasal Verbs Around the House | Image 2