Learn common phrasal verbs for Travel with meaning and examples.
You can jump to any section of this lesson:
- 1 19 Useful Phrasal Verbs for Travel
- 2 Useful Phrasal Verbs for Travel | Pictures
19 Useful Phrasal Verbs for Travel
- Meaning: Go to the airport or station to say goodbye to someone
- Example: They’ve gone to the airport to see their son off.
- Meaning: Start a journey
- Example: We set off for Paris just after ten.
- Meaning: Arrive (train, plane)
- Example: I got in just after eight o’clock.
- Meaning: Delay when travelling
- Example: Sorry I’m late – I was held up at work.
- Meaning: When a plane departs or leaves the ground
- Example: The plane took off an hour late.
- Meaning: Arrive and register at a hotel or airport
- Example: Please check in at least an hour before departure.
- Meaning: Leave a bus, train, plane
- Example: We get off at the next station.
- Meaning: Leave the hotel after paying
- Example: We checked out at noon.
- Meaning: To have a holiday or vacation
- Example: We’re hoping to get away for a few days at Easter.
- Meaning: Enter a bus, train, plane, to climb on board
- Example: I think we got on the wrong bus.
- Meaning: Take someone to a place and leave them there
- Example: I’ll drop you off on my way home.
- Meaning: Let someone get into your car and take them somewhere
- Example: I’ll pick you up at the station.
- Meaning: Start a journey, especially a long journey
- Example: They set out on the last stage of their journey.
- Meaning: Increase speed
- Example: Can you try and speed things up a bit?
- Meaning: Explore what is near you, in your area
- Example: People came out of their houses and looked around.
- Meaning: Rush and not waste time
- Example: Hurry up! We’re going to be late.
- Meaning: Go the place someone is leaving from to say goodbye
- Example: Dave and I go back twenty years.
- Meaning: Look forward to something that is going to happen in the future
- Example: I’m looking forward to the weekend.
- Meaning: Stay somewhere for a short time during a long journey
- Example: I wanted to stop over in India on the way to Australia.
Useful Phrasal Verbs for Travel | Pictures
Useful Phrasal Verbs for Travel | Image 1.
Useful Phrasal Verbs for Travel | Image 2.