Learn useful phrasal verbs with ANSWER in English.
You can jump to any section of this lesson:
- Meaning: Reply impertinently; to talk back
- Example: I’ll thank you not to answer back like that! Where are your manners?
- Meaning: Reply to a question at a later time
- Example: Please answer me back before the end of the week.
- Meaning: Be held responsible for; to take the blame for something
- Example: The mayor will be answering for his crimes for many years.
- Meaning: Guarantee
- Example: I will answer for his debt, if he can’t pay on the day.
- Meaning: Vouch for (someone); to attest to the character of (someone)
- Example: She’s known me for years, and she’s always answered for me!
- Meaning: Be accountable or responsible to
- Example: I’m above you in the hierarchy, Jim, so you should be answering to me.
- Meaning: Justify oneself to (someone)
- Example: You’re going to have to answer to all of these charges to my satisfaction.
- Meaning: Respond to (a name); to treat as one’s own name
- Example: She’s answered to Katie her entire life.