Phrasal Verbs with BACK! Learn back up meaning, back off meaning, back out meaning, back onto meaning with examples and ESL printable worksheet. List of common BACK phrasal verbs in English.
Phrasal Verbs with BACK
Back off Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Become less aggressive, particularly when one had appeared committed to act
- Example: You need to back off, or the situation could turn ugly.
- Meaning: Lower the setting of
- Example: Could you back off the volume a bit? It’s really loud.
Back onto Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Reverse a vehicle onto something
- Example: The car backed onto my toe.
- Meaning: Overlook something from the rear
- Example: My house backs onto the canal.
Back out Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Reverse a vehicle from a confined space
- Example: He backed out of the garage.
- Meaning: Withdraw from something one has agreed to do
- Example: She backed out of organizing the fund-raising.
- Meaning: Undo a change
- Example: I had to back out the changes made to the computer when it became apparent that they had stopped it working properly.
Back up Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Move backwards, especially for a vehicle to do so
- Example: That beeping sound indicates that the truck is backing up.
- Meaning: Move a vehicle backward
- Example: Back up the car a little, you’re blocking the driveway.
- Meaning: Undo one’s actions
- Example: I couldn’t see how to finish the project, so I backed up and tried it another way.
- Meaning: Reconsider one’s thoughts
- Example: This isn’t working. Let’s back up and think about it.
- Meaning: Copy (data) as a security measure
- Example: Back up your documents folder before applying the update.
- Meaning: Provide support or the promise of support
- Example: You should be careful. This guy is backed up by the local gang.
- Meaning: Halt the flow or movement of something
- Example: When I flushed the toilet, the plumbing backed up and burst.
Phrasal Verbs with BACK | Images
List of useful phrasal verbs with back with meaning and examples – image 1
List of useful phrasal verbs with back with meaning and examples – image 2