Phrasal Verbs with BEAT! Learn beat down meaning, beat out meaning, beat up meaning, beat off meaning…in English with example sentences and ESL picture.
Phrasal Verbs with BEAT
List of beat phrasal verbs with meaning and examples.
Beat down Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Strike with great force
- Example: It was a ghastly morning, with the rain beating down in sheets.
- Meaning: Haggle with someone to sell at a lower price
- Example: I managed to beat him down to half his original asking price.
Beat off, Beat out Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Waste time
- Example: I beat off at work all day; I didn’t get anything done.
- Meaning: Sound a rhythm on a percussion instrument such as a drum
- Example: The drummer beat out a steady slow march.
- Meaning: Extinguish
- Example: He managed to beat the flames out with a blanket.
- Meaning: Defeat by a narrow margin
- Example: She beat out three other contenders to claim the prize.
Beat up Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Give a severe beating to, to assault violently hitting the victim repeatedly
- Example: I got beaten up by thugs on my way home.
- Meaning: Feel badly guilty and accuse oneself over something
- Example: Don’t beat yourself up over such a minor mistake.