28 Phrasal Verbs with BREAK! Learn break up meaning, break down meaning, break into meaning, break out meaning, break away meaning, break even meaning, break in meaning, break off meaning, break through meaning… with examples and ESL picture.
Phrasal Verbs with BREAK
List of useful phrasal verbs with break in English with meaning and example sentences.
Break away, Break down Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Leave suddenly
- Example: She was brought up in a very religious household, but broke away from the church in her teens.
- Meaning: Become separated, literally or figuratively
- Example: A chunk of rock broke away from the cliff edge.
- Meaning: Fail, to cease to function
- Example: I am afraid my computer will break down if I try to run it at too high a speed.
- Meaning: Render or to become unstable due to stress, to collapse physically or mentally
- Example: She is back to work now, after she broke down the other day.
- Meaning: Render or to become weak and ineffective
- Example: His authority and influence over his coordinates broke down gradually.
- Meaning: Decay, to decompose
- Example: Leaves and grass will break down into compost faster if you keep them moist.
- Meaning: Divide into parts to give more details, to provide a more indepth analysis of
- Example: If you don’t understand, ask him to break down the numbers for you.
- Meaning: Digest
- Example: His stomach took a while to break down his food.
Break even, Break in Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Neither gain nor lose money
- Example: After an entire night playing poker, he nearly broke even.
- Meaning: Stay the same; to neither advance nor regress
- Example: It’s a lot of work just to break even and keep the weeds down.
- Meaning: Enter a place by force or illicit means
- Example: Someone broke in and stole his radio.
- Meaning: Cause to function more naturally through use or wear
- Example: These shoes will be more comfortable after I have broken them in.
Break off, Break into Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: End a relationship.
- Example: I’ve decided to break it off with her.
- Meaning: To stop (temporarily)
- Example: Linda broke off, realizing that she was wrong.
- Meaning: To become separate (from something)
- Example: Part of the chimney broke off and fell to the ground.
- Meaning: Enter illegally or by force, especially in order to commit a crime
- Example: Somebody broke into his car and stole his tools and CDs.
- Meaning: Open or begin to use
- Example: I finally broke into the second package of cookies.
- Meaning: Successfully enter a profession or business
- Example: He hopes to break into show business.
- Meaning: Begin suddenly
- Example: The horse broke into a gallop as they neared the barn.
Break out, Break through Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Escape, especially forcefully or defiantly
- Example: They broke out of prison in the middle of the night.
- Meaning: Begin suddenly; to emerge in a certain condition
- Example: He broke out in sweat.
- Meaning: To break a way through (sth solid)
- Example: Demonstrators broke through the police cordon.
- Meaning: To make new and important discoveries
- Example: Scientists think they are beginning to break through in the fight against cancer.
Break up Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Break or separate into pieces; to disintegrate or come apart
- Example: It broke up when it hit the ground.
- Meaning: End a relationship
- Example: She broke up with her boyfriend last week.
- Meaning: Dissolve; to part
- Example: The meeting finally broke up after a three-hour discussion.
- Meaning: Break or separate into pieces
- Example: Break up the cheese and put it in the salad.
- Meaning: Stop a fight; to separate people who are fighting
- Example: The police came in to break up the disturbance.
Useful Phrasal Verbs with BREAK | Picture
(Phrasal Verbs with BREAK: Break up, Break down, Break into, Break out…)