Phrasal Verbs with CALL! Learn call away meaning, call down meaning, call for meaning, call in meaning, call off meaning, call out meaning, call on meaning with examples and ESL printable worksheets.
Phrasal Verbs with CALL
List of commonly used CALL phrasal verbs in English with meaning and example sentences.
Call away, Call down Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Summon; to cause to depart
- Example: I was called away from the meeting to deal with a medical emergency.
- Meaning: Pray for; to request from God
- Example: I shall call down God’s wrath upon you!
Call for Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Shout out in order to summon (a person)
- Example: I leant out of the back door and called for Lucy.
- Meaning: Ask for in a loud voice
- Example: We finished the main course in short order and called for more wine.
- Meaning: Request, demand
- Example: The government has called for an end to hostilities in the region.
- Meaning: Necessitate, demand
- Example: This situation calls for a high degree of courage.
- Meaning: Stop at a place and ask for (someone)
- Example: I’ll call for you just after midday.
Call in, Call off Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Communicate with a base etc, by telephone
- Example: I was too unwell to work yesterday so I called in sick.
- Meaning: Summon someone, especially for help or advice
- Example: The government called in the army to deal with the riots.
- Meaning: Recall; to cancel or call a halt to
- Example: If you want me to call off the dog, then get off my land.
Call on Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Visit (a person); to pay a call to
- Example: I really should call on my aunt more often.
- Meaning: Select (a student in a classroom, etc.) to provide an answer
- Example: He sat there, baffled, hoping nobody would call on him.
- Meaning: Request or ask something of (a person); to select for a task
- Example: The king called on his subjects to take up arms and defend the kingdom.
- Meaning: Have recourse to; to summon up
- Example: Exhausted, he called on his last ounce of strength.
- Meaning: Correct; to point out an error or untruth
- Example: The salesman persisted in quoting a rate higher than was listed, until we called him on it.
Call out Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Specify, especially in detail
- Example: They call out 304 stainless steel in the drawing, but the part was made from aluminum.
- Meaning: Order into service; to summon into service
- Example: The Governor called out the National Guard.
- Meaning: Challenge; denounce; point out; charge
- Example: She called them out on their lies.
Phrasal Verbs with CALL | Images
Useful images of phrasal verbs with Call in English | Image 1.
Useful images of phrasal verbs with Call in English | Image 2