20 Phrasal Verbs with CUT in English! Learn cut back meaning, cut down meaning, cut off meaning, cut out meaning, cut up meaning with examples and ESL printable pictures.
Phrasal Verbs with CUT
List of 20 phrasal verbs with cut with meaning and example sentences.
Cut back, Cut down Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Reduce spending
- Example: We need to cut back heavily on office supplies. Is there another vendor we can use?
- Meaning: Reduce consumption
- Example: He needs to cut back on doughnuts. He weighs 289 pounds!
- Meaning: Bring down by cutting
- Example: They want to cut down several trees to make room for the parking lot.
- Meaning: Reduce the amount of something
- Example: He wants to cut down on extra steps.
Cut off Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Stop providing funds to someone
- Example: His parents cut him off to encourage him to find a job.
- Meaning: End abruptly
- Example: My phone call was cut off before I could get the information.
- Meaning: Interrupt (someone speaking)
- Example: That dingbat cut me off as I was about to conclude my theses.
- Meaning: Turn off or switch off (an electrical device)
- Example: Cut off the lamp so I can get some sleep.
Cut out Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Refrain from (doing something, using something etc.), to stop/cease (doing something)
- Example: He had to cut out smoking in order to be prepared for the marathon.
- Meaning: Remove, omit
- Example: If we cut out the middle-man, we will both have better profits.
- Meaning: Separate from a herd
- Example: The cowboy cut out the unbranded heifers.
- Meaning: Stop working, to switch off; (of a person on the telephone etc.) to be inaudible, be disconnected
- Example: It was around then that the engine suddenly cut out.
- Meaning: Leave suddenly
- Example: He must have cut out of the party.
- Meaning: Arrange
- Example: He has his work cut out for him.
Cut through Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Deal with an issue quickly
- Example: Can we cut through the bureaucracy and make a decision on the spot?
- Meaning: Take a shortcut through
- Example: I usually cut through the woods to get home, but last night it was too dark.
Cut up Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Cut into smaller pieces, parts, or sections
- Example: With a little practice, you can cut up a whole chicken yourself for frying.
- Meaning: Lacerate; wound by multiple lacerations; injure or damage by cutting, or as if by cutting
- Example: The attackers cut him up pretty bad.
- Meaning: Severely criticize or censure; to subject to hostile criticism
- Example: The reviewer cut up the book mercilessly.
- Meaning: Comprise a particular selection of runners
- Example: The race has cut up badly with no real opposition to Serendipity.
Phrasal Verbs with CUT | Images
List of phrasal verbs with CUT English | Image 1
List of phrasal verbs with CUT English | Image 2
Phrasal Verbs with CUT: Cut back, Cut down, Cut off, Cut out…