Phrasal verbs with HOLD! Learn hold up meaning, hold down meaning, hold in meaning, hold off meaning, hold on meaning, hold out meaning, hold over meaning, hold back meaning with examples and ESL pictures.
Phrasal Verbs with HOLD
List of 23 frequently used phrasal verbs with Hold in English.
Hold up Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Wait or delay
- Example: Hold up a minute. I want to check something.
- Meaning: Impede; detain
- Example: I’ve got to be to work now. Why are you holding me up?
- Meaning: Support or lift
- Example: Hold up the table while I slide this underneath.
- Meaning: Fulfil / fulfill or complete one’s part of an agreement
- Example: I don’t think he’s holding up his end of the bargain.
- Meaning: Rob at gunpoint
- Example: The guy tried to hold up a bank.
Hold back Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Act with reserve; to contain one’s full measure or power out
- Example: Don’t hold back. Hit it as hard as you can.
- Meaning: Contain; stop
- Example: The dam can’t hold back that much water.
- Meaning: Delay the progress of, especially in school
- Example: He’s a year older than his classmates, because he was held back in second grade.
Hold down, Hold in Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Restrain; to check
- Example: You hold him down while I search him.
- Meaning: Continue, to hold and to manage well
- Example: I held down that job for years.
- Meaning: Restrain oneself
- Example: He wanted to laugh and could hardly hold in.
Hold off Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Delay someone or something temporarily; to keep at bay
- Example: Let’s try to hold off the lawyers until we are ready for them.
- Meaning: Delay commencing
- Example: Hold off the decision one more day so I can answer your question.
- Meaning: Delay commencing an action
- Example: Hold off on baking until I get there.
Hold on Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Grasp or grip firmly
- Example: Hold on tightly to the railing.
- Meaning: Keep; to store something for someone
- Example: Hold on to my umbrella while I ride the roller coaster.
- Meaning: Wait a short while
- Example: Hold on while I get my coat.
- Meaning: Remain loyal
- Example: He didn’t give up his fandom when others did; he held on.
Hold out, Hold over Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Wait, or refuse in hopes of getting something better
- Example: I am holding out for more money.
- Meaning: Survive, endure
- Example: How long can they hold out without water?
- Meaning: Withhold something
- Example: You’ve got a key! Why have you been holding out on me?
- Meaning: Set something aside or save it for later
- Example: Pack the boxes, but hold out a few blue ones for later.
- Meaning: Save, delay
- Example: We will have to hold over these files until tomorrow.
Phrasal Verbs with HOLD | Images
Useful Phrasal Verbs with HOLD | Image 1
Useful Phrasal Verbs with HOLD | Image 2
Phrasal Verbs with HOLD: Hold back, Hold down, Hold on, Hold up…