Phrasal verbs with LAY! Learn lay by meaning, lay down meaning, lay low meaning, lay off meaning, lay of meaning, lay on meaning, lay out meaning, lay up meaning with ESL printable images.
Phrasal Verbs with LAY
List of frequently used phrasal verbs with LAY in English
Lay down Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Give up, surrender, or yield (e.g. a weapon)
- Example: The police urged the gunman to lay down his weapon.
- Meaning: Intentionally take a fall while riding a motorcycle, in order to prevent a more serious collision
- Example: He laid down his brand-new Harley-Davidson to avoid the oncoming bus.
- Meaning: Specify, institute, enact, assert firmly, state authoritatively, establish or formulate
- Example: Let’s lay down the rules right at the beginning, so we are consistent.
- Meaning: Lie down; to place oneself in a reclined or horizontal position, on a bed or similar, for the purpose of resting
- Example: I feel a bit ill, so I’m going to go lay down for a while.
Lay by, Lay low, Lay off Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Put away for future use; put aside; store; save; hoard; to build up as savings
- Example: He had managed to lay by money for college through his years as a paperboy.
- Meaning: Topple or overcome; to cause to fall; (of a person) to knock out
- Example: He was laid low by a vicious blow to the head.
- Meaning: Cease, quit, stop (doing something)
- Example: When are you gonna lay off smoking?
Lay of, Lay on Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Stop bothering, teasing, or pestering someone; to leave (someone) alone
- Example: I told him to lay off me but he wouldn’t stop.
- Meaning: Provide (food or drinks) for free
- Example: At the conference, they laid on a wonderful buffet.
- Meaning: Repeatedly say (particular things)
- Example: He laid on compliments.
Lay out, Lay up Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Arrange in a certain way, so as to spread or space apart
- Example: She laid the blocks out in a circle on the floor.
- Meaning: Make a layup with (a basketball)
- Example: He takes the pass, he drives, he lays it up and in.
Phrasal Verbs with LAY | Picture