Phrasal verbs with MAKE! Learn make after meaning, make away with meaning, make into meaning, make off meaning, make out meaning, make over meaning, make up meaning…with examples and ESL pictures.
Phrasal Verbs with MAKE
List of commonly used phrasal verbs with the word Make in English.
Make after, Make away with, Make for Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Chase
- Example: I made after him.
Make away with
- Meaning: Steal
- Example: Thieves made away with £50,000 of jewellery in last night’s heist.
- Meaning: To move towards something
- Example: He picked up his umbrella and made for the door.
- Meaning: To contribute, to cause, lead to
- Example: The new computers make for much greater productivity.
Make into, Make it up to, Make of Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Cause (the first object) to become (the second object); to change or transform
- Example: Basic training will make you into a man.
Make it up to
- Meaning: Pay back; to return someone a previous good deed
- Example: You’ve been so kind to me, how can I make it up to you?
- Meaning: Form an opinion about (someone or something)
- Example: What do you make of the new guy?
Make off, Make off with Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Leave somewhere in a hurry
- Example: The kids made off when they heard us coming.
- Meaning: To escape
- Example: The men made off as the police arrived.
Make off with
- Meaning: Steal
- Example: They made off with our television and our stereo.
Make out, Make out of Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Draw up (a document etc.), to designate (a cheque) to a given recipient, payee
- Example: Cheques may be made out to the Foo Bar Company.
- Meaning: Manage, get along; to do (well, badly etc.)
- Example: Oh, you were on a TV game show? How did you make out?
- Meaning: Represent; to make (something) appear to be true
- Example: His version of the story makes me out to be the bad guy.
- Meaning: Kiss passionately
- Example: We found a secluded spot where we could make out in private.
Make out of
- Meaning: Construct from; to create (something) using (a material or substance)
- Example: I’ll make a quilt out of your mother’s old shirts.
Make over Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Renovate or to convert to a different use, particularly houses, offices, or rooms within them
- Example: We’re going to make over the garage into a guest suite.
- Meaning: Create a new physical look, especially with a new hairstyle, cosmetics, or clothes
- Example: Cindy is going to make over Karen tomorrow.
- Meaning: Improve upon and/or take in a new direction
- Example: The senator needs to make over his image.
Make up, Make up for, Make up to Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Compensate, fill in or catch up
- Example: He can make up the time next week.
- Meaning: Invent, imagine, or concoct (a story, claim, etc.)
- Example: He was a great storyteller and could make up a story on the spot.
- Meaning: Assemble, or mix
- Example: I can make up a batch of stew in a few minutes, but it will take a few hours to cook.
- Meaning: Apply cosmetics or makeup to
- Example: Let’s leave as soon as I make up my face.
- Meaning: Resolve, forgive or smooth over an argument or fight
- Example: They fight a lot, but they always manage to make up.
Make up for
- Meaning: To compensate for something, to replace
- Example: I don’t eat breakfast but I make up for it at lunch.
Make up to
- Meaning: Do something to show that you are sorry about the problems you have caused someone
- Example: He was looking for a way to make up to her for what he had done.
Make towards, Make way Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Head in the direction
- Example: I made towards the door, but he called me back.
- Meaning: Make progress
- Example: He was starting to make his way in the world.
Phrasal Verbs with MAKE | Images
Useful phrasal verbs with Make | Image 1
Useful phrasal verbs with Make | Image 2